Knee Pads

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
OK, so I turn 60 soon and am bony as hell. Creeping and casting from my knees, kneeling on rocks, while still possible, can just hurt like hell after a couple hours anymore. I usually wear wading slacks, sometimes shorts. Anybody got a good suggestion. I tried a foam athletic X style, but that pinched behind my knee.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
One of my favorites things about my Orvis Pro waders are the integrated knee pads. That doesn't really help you much but they're thinner than most separate knee pads.

Divad

Whitefish
OK, so I turn 60 soon and am bony as hell. Creeping and casting from my knees, kneeling on rocks, while still possible, can just hurt like hell after a couple hours anymore. I usually wear wading slacks, sometimes shorts. Anybody got a good suggestion. I tried a foam athletic X style, but that pinched behind my knee.
I’d hate to wear a standard knee pad wading, what about those built into compression pants. That’s a standard routine for a few sports so there are many to choose from.

8DCF2F9A-4153-4C89-9CDD-8EC020007DB0.jpeg

I too have the Orvis Pros and sometimes use the pads.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I've been wearing closed cell foam landscapers kneepads under my waders for about 5 years now, and my knees are MUCH happier than they were before.
I did some online shopping, looks like a good call, thanks for the start. Really had no clue about these. Think I'll pop into home depot next time I'm across town.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I've used the slip in compression pads over my waders before and really liked it. They slim your waders down to your leg which which helps keep them from snagging on the trail and also reduces your square footage in the water. I was surprised how much easier i could wade when the legs are tight.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
I dated a young gal in Aspen in the early 80's who had some she was quite fond of. I don't know what kind they were but I remember she had several different colors. Pretty sure she wasn't a roofer.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When I lived out east and did a lot of rock crawling and casting on my knees, I just used a cheap pair of foam knee pads I got at home depot. I wore them inside my waders.

I don't know why I stopped wearing them out here, I don't really do ninja fishing anymore with the two-hander, but the wading here is a lot tougher, so having something to protect your knees when you eat shit and slam your knee into a jagged chunk of basalt might be a good idea.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Telemark knee pads. I used to wear a pair made by Life Link during terrestrial season on the Henry's Fork.
These would work, probably better than my Life Link ones.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I would use kneepads, but I feel like they probably all slip down and are more hassle than they are worth. Waders with integrated kneepads would probably work.