Knee Deep

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Not too many places I'd rather be than standing knee deep in a trout stream.

Yesterday I took a friend out for her first time fly fishing. She caught 4 of the smallest trout ever taken on a fly and had a blast.
VPKvC26F_o.gif

DSC_1779.jpg

Let's see yours.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Is this a challenge? If so, I am in the running.

Pops hooked up on a nice westslope:

View attachment 22974
Another stunning example of earth's natural beauty and our enjoyment of it!

Sadly, another 100 years and another 8 billion people and you will have to take a number to visit a place like that shown. Fish hard while you can, your great grandkids will only dream of scenes like this.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

Sadly, another 100 years and another 8 billion people and you will have to take a number to visit a place like that shown. Fish hard while you can, your great grandkids will only dream of scenes like this.
That’s a little depressing, but probably not too far off. If they end up requiring a lottery, I will get in line for it.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter

Give it another 50,000 years (an instant in terrestrial lifespan) and it will all be back to a semblance of wilderness. I am heartened every time I see a swath of abandoned roadway slowly being demolished and reclaimed by nature....

Mankind won't likely be around, but that's alright....we'd just fuck things up again.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Can we please work on positivity? This thread started out great and I appreciate Swimmy posting it...yeah the world can suck but we don't always need to focus on that
I thought I was being pretty positive! 🙂

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
There are plenty of places on the web where one can gripe about how terrible the world will be. Let's use PNWFF to try and appreciate the good things that are happening right now.

Which, at least how I read it, is exactly what Swimmy was trying to do with this thread. So dig through the image folders and hard drives and share some knee (or in my case, ankle) deep photos.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Population growth has actually dipped below 1% and continues to decline, and we are looking at stabilizing around 10.5-11B population if I remember right. Just read an article on it the other day.

With continued conservation measures and adequate consciousness raising maybe we’ll see a net gain in untrammeled wild places over the next century.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I apologize for not showing enough positivity for you some of you guys but positivity can be somewhat ethereal whereas reality is what's happenin' now. And what's happenin' now isn't pretty but you need to acknowledge and prepare for it. Back in 1951 when I was binging on education and knowledge I became aware that world population would be one of the greatest problems that mankind would ever face. Adults laughed at me and asked: "What do you know-you are just a kid?" After all the world population was only about 2.5 billion around 1950. But the handwriting was on the wall and now -just 70 years later-it has reached 8 billion. It has tripled in less than one lifetime. Now plug your own age and the age of your children into this formula and try to project what life will be like for them 70 years from now.

I have always been a very positive person that was forward thinking and very enthusiastic about life. And eternally hopeful that mankind would stop making war and begin to treat their neighbors with respect. But I am not blind and can't help but notice that things have gotten worse over my lifetime and don't see any mechanism in place for change. Now the ball is in the court of you younger people, any change has to be instigated by you and subsequent generations. Staying positive is good and I would encourage all to be that way and spread it as much as possible. But also be aware and try to anticipate what is coming your way. The head-in-the-sand and Mary Poppins platitudes won't solve anything, let's see some involvement and action.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I suppose what makes old men like Ive and myself appear to such harbingers of doom is that in our short lives we saw the very same kind of gorgeous places destroyed through habitat destruction (overuse, lack of access, pollution, global warming, etc.). You see a happy day in paradise, and we feel sadness knowing most such places won't survive unless something radical happens (an unlikely event since humans live in 'the here and now'). We lived through its dismal trajectory (and contributed to its demise like everyone else).