Kamloops boat option

Would you bring one large boat or three small ones?

• Large boat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Small boats

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Two buddies and I are planning on going to the Kamloops area this spring. We each have a small boat or I have a 20' open boat. It looks like launching my boat might not be an option at many of those lakes. In that case we would have to stick to the larger lakes.

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I would bring the small boats. You / your buddies may like to fish in different ways - bobber watching, dries, leeches/buggers. That would allow each of you to fish your preferred method. It would also allow for searching on the lake of choice - some might like structure, other drop offs. It would also allow you to fish some smaller waters that might not be suitable for a larger boat.

Just my $.02.

Have fun.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
You can fish bigger water with small boats (although it’s not ideal) but not the other way around. I did my first BC lakes trip last summer and fished several that were best with a float tube and others where a small boat was perfect. Also I wouldn’t have wanted to bring a big boat on a trailer over the forest roads to reach the lakes!

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
You can fish bigger water with small boats (although it’s not ideal) but not the other way around. I did my first BC lakes trip last summer and fished several that were best with a float tube and others where a small boat was perfect. Also I wouldn’t have wanted to bring a big boat on a trailer over the forest roads to reach the lakes!
Yeah seeing video of some of those roads gives me pause on the big boat.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Yeah seeing video of some of those roads gives me pause on the big boat.
Three of us have been going up to the Kamloops area for >15 years now. We each fish from prams; two are towed in a small utility trailer and even that trailer causes issues at some of the lakes where access is really rough. Mr. Salzer sums it up very well.

BDD

Steelhead
If you plan on fishing some of the bigger lakes (e.g., Sheridan) it may be worth your while on bringing four boats, depending on how many rigs you are taking, some of your fishing preferences, and how long you will be in the area.

I think it would be fun fishing with your buddies all in the same boat part of the time for an opportunity for some really trophy fish, then ditching the big boat at camp and taking the smaller boats and exploring lesser known waters because it's nice to get away from your buddies and do your own thing for awhile too. Best of both worlds.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Definitely prepare for bad roads. Even if it's a good road year prior active logging and slash can change things.
Thinking back - something else to be prepared for: flat tires. The first year we were up there, Herb's truck still had the "factory" rubber on his Silverado. As we hit the "pavement" coming off a mountain, we noticed the truck was riding funny. The right rear tire was and left front were both going flat. The lodge owner rescued us and had the flats fixed the following day; thank goodness for his actions in getting us mobile. He said "Oh, you know, I only run 10 ply tires up here, eh". Herb and I both have 10-ply tires on our trucks.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Thinking back - something else to be prepared for: flat tires. The first year we were up there, Herb's truck still had the "factory" rubber on his Silverado. As we hit the "pavement" coming off a mountain, we noticed the truck was riding funny. The right rear tire was and left front were both going flat. The lodge owner rescued us and had the flats fixed the following day; thank goodness for his actions in getting us mobile. He said "Oh, you know, I only run 10 ply tires up here, eh". Herb and I both have 10-ply tires on our trucks.

We once took a two week long road trip up into BC north of Williams Lake. This of coarse was in the early 70’s.
Between the station wagon and camping trailer we were hauling, we had seven flats during the trip. The road were atrocious even back then.
SF

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
We once took a two week long road trip up into BC north of Williams Lake. This of coarse was in the early 70’s.
Between the station wagon and camping trailer we were hauling, we had seven flats during the trip. The road were atrocious even back then.
SF
One of the lakes I love to fish up there is less than 10 miles by odometer, it's really close by but on a good day, when it isn't snowing or raining hard, it takes 70 - 75 minutes travel time. When it's really snotty, add another 10 or 15 minutes. I can't believe how jagged some of the rock is that we travel over or how many "potholes" there are in a quarter mile.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I would take the two small boats especially if you can piggy back then and only have to take one rig.
1. I would way rather fish with someone than alone. When the fishing is slow I am not a fan of telling myself jokes....lol.
2. With the price of gas the fewer rigs you have to take the better. And travelling up and back not to mention while fishing is a drag with multiple rigs.
3. There isn't anything a big boat can do that a small boat can't if the weather conditions are ok. But the opposite isn't true.

I live in Kamloops. Small boats are generally all that is needed if you watch the weather on larger lakes and don't get stuck on the opposite end of the lake from the boat launch with a good stiff wind. Pick low wind days to fish larger lakes. All I have is a 10 ft Lowe with a Mini Kota and oars.

Also depends what people consider is a small boat, how much weight is in the boat, outboard engine or not and experience of person at the tiller.