Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Damn! What a tragedy.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Seeing some conflicting reports now that this was a screw-up by the TNT (and myself for posting it) and it was not the John Farrar we know from guiding and fly shops that was killed in the accident yesterday.
My apologies as the TNT story was sent to me by a friend.
SF

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Certainly tragic, but not "our" John Farrar. By "our" I mean the John Farrar from Rapid City, South Dakota who, in 1976 uprooted and moved to Seattle, WA expressly to learn to fish for steelhead trout, of which there aren't many in S.D. John worked variously at Avid Angler (when it was Archer and Angler), then Kaufmann's in Bellevue, and finally at Patrick's Fly Shop on Eastlake. In 1981 John decided to become a steelhead fly fishing guide, at a time when no such occupation existed. I mean, who would actually hire a guide for a fishing prospect with such a low expected return for effort as fly fishing for steelhead? But John was a forward thinker, seeing in 1981 the rise of the "Yuppie," or Young Urban Professional, who, by the thousands wandered into fly shops and plucked down their VISA Gold cards and said, "Set me up to fly fish for steelhead." Fly shops blossomed like cherries on a tree and prospered by supplying the tools of the trade to the many wannabee steelhead fly fishers. John, and others who followed, helped these hapless Yuppies put their shiny new tools to work.

John was still guiding up until sometime past 2010; I can't remember which year. About 4 or 5 years ago he moved to a south Denver suburb to live with one of his brothers. He has some ailment, I'm not sure what. The upshot is that he is no longer able to live independently on his own. His condition makes it hard to contact him. Try as I might by phone and email, I have not succeeded. However, another friend has gotten through to him twice on the phone. And he did not die in a car crash last week in Seattle. In fact he reacted to some post on Facebook just last week.

dflett68

Steelhead
I picked my brother up from Seatac yesterday and we came on this scene very shortly after the accident, I'm sure our vehicle is in that first picture of the backup. Tragic.