January tying contest thread - and December's winner is:

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This is the woodsman… similar to the previous pattern I posted but longer shanks and hooks, tail shenk, I use finesse chenille for body and added a few wraps of mallard on each segment. Also add some flex at the head at an angle. This one really kicks side to side.

I should note these aren’t my patterns but just what I’ve been using and tying, particularly for prespawn river smallmouth

Attachments

• 9664FC3E-2267-4E10-9FF2-66FF1CDF4B08.jpeg
    9664FC3E-2267-4E10-9FF2-66FF1CDF4B08.jpeg
    467 KB · Views: 47
  • 611BF52A-C50A-4AFB-BB6C-18EF8405FD90.jpeg
    611BF52A-C50A-4AFB-BB6C-18EF8405FD90.jpeg
    590.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
This is the woodsman… similar to the previous pattern I posted but longer shanks and hooks, tail shenk, I use finesse chenille for body and added a few wraps of mallard on each segment. Also add some flex at the head at an angle. This one really kicks side to side.

I should note these aren’t my patterns but just what I’ve been using and tying, particularly for prespawn river smallmouth
You got a go to line you like for those bad boys? What sort of presentation?

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Billy yessir - SA titan int. I predominantly fish rivers and tend to fish these on a down and across presentation. Usually I strip and ‘give a little back’ as I strip and move the rod hand back too but then take the rod back towards the fly to give a little slack so they turn and kick sideways.

I’ve done fine with some more perpendicular to the bank or perpendicular to the current retrieves too if they are in the right mood. But I do really like the strip and die/move to the side/fall back in the fishes face action the down and across presents. Plus when fishing the bank or a shelf that is in line with the current, keeps the bait in a good spot and on the structure.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not new as I tied these awhile ago. I’ve caught LM and SM of both.
My version on a wacky worm fly tied with hard and silicone tubes and without (braided). I tie them with (cone) and without weight depending how fast I want them to sink. Not fun to cast but give good movement.
Fun to casting at fish you can see and seeing how they react.
SF

F2E487D5-31D6-45C0-BBA1-36C2C9845EC7.jpeg68155A2C-F6A2-4590-A609-4CDDF4C3689E.jpeg

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Not new as I tied these awhile ago. I’ve caught LM and SM of both.
My version on a wacky worm fly tied with hard and silicone tubes and without (braided). I tie them with (cone) and without weight depending how fast I want them to sink. Not fun to cast but give good movement.
Fun to casting at fish you can see and seeing how they react.
SF

View attachment 48619View attachment 48620
I see your senko and raise you a curly tailed grub😁20230103_145424-01.jpeg

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Kfish love those murdichs. You like the strung fuzzy fiber better than the estaz ones? And have you tried/thoughts on scuplting flash fiber (I only ask so I don’t have to buy fuzzy fiber..)