Ice off

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
It was….
Post in thread 'Countdown!!! ... Atmospheric River’ Begins to Pound Western U.S. With Rain and Snow'
https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/countdown-atmospheric-river’-begins-to-pound-western-u-s-with-rain-and-snow.3831/post-100257
I had an appointment in Moses Lake this morning - driving over Rocky Ford Creek on SR17 it looks like there's some open water but lots of ice. Moses Lake itself, as I was driving past Big Bend is wide open, no ice: big white caps.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I had an appointment in Moses Lake this morning - driving over Rocky Ford Creek on SR17 it looks like there's some open water but lots of ice. Moses Lake itself, as I was driving past Big Bend is wide open, no ice: big white caps.

This would be a good time to consider launching at another nearby big lake that has moving water running into it.......provided the weather is safe. ;)
SF

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ice off here on the tundra is a moot point since our season doesn't open until April 22. Below zero temps for the past couple of days with daytime temps in the 20's aren't going to speed things along either. By now the Little Pend Oreille chain of lakes across Tiger Pass should be showing some signs of a spring thaw but they are frozen tight and even more so since I crossed the Pass on Monday. Even a lake down in the valley that is the first to thaw showed no sign of weakening ice. With so much below zero temp this winter I am concerned about winter kill in some of the shallower lakes. It will take some serious recon after the season opens to determine which fish populations have survived.

BDD

Steelhead
What about Quincy?
Does anybody have high expectations for Quincy/Burke this year? I fished it a couple times last year and while I did okay it sure seemed like there were a lot of disappointed anglers complaining about the lack of fish. My first thought is it probably won't be any better. I'll probably go but I am resetting my expectations as I think the lake has begun it's regular down trend.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Does anybody have high expectations for Quincy/Burke this year? I fished it a couple times last year and while I did okay it sure seemed like there were a lot of disappointed anglers complaining about the lack of fish. My first thought is it probably won't be any better. I'll probably go but I am resetting my expectations as I think the lake has begun it's regular down trend.
Nope. Not the same as they were a few years ago. Like anywhere, I imagine they can be good if you hit it right. But lately it seems I have to cover a lot of water to find ‘em.

Islander

Life of the Party
Ice off here on the tundra is a moot point since our season doesn't open until April 22. Below zero temps for the past couple of days with daytime temps in the 20's aren't going to speed things along either. By now the Little Pend Oreille chain of lakes across Tiger Pass should be showing some signs of a spring thaw but they are frozen tight and even more so since I crossed the Pass on Monday. Even a lake down in the valley that is the first to thaw showed no sign of weakening ice. With so much below zero temp this winter I am concerned about winter kill in some of the shallower lakes. It will take some serious recon after the season opens to determine which fish populations have survived.
Same here Ive, our lakes are open but you need an auger to fish them. Today finally got a high temp that was above freezing. Last week was high in the teens and lows of below zero. I guess I’ll have to slum another few weeks and fish the river.