I need a tip top

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Don’t use those! Tip tops actually wear out, and if you have used permanent glue, you can’t get them off to replace them. Low temperature hot melt glue is the stuff to use.

Used to be that you could walk into any fly shop and they would have a big box of tip tops, and a stick of glue. Job would be done in less than five minutes for a couple of bucks. Sounds like that doesn’t happen any more.
I don't like the hot melt glue. If you live in the desert where the temps are over 100 and you have the rod in the back of your truck, it will be hot enough to loosen the tip and have it fall off. I have had it happen a couple times before. I would argue that you should never have to replace a quality tip top on a fly rod unless you are using long leaders all the time, the fly line is too thick to wear out the tip top. I use the same epoxy I use on the handle and grip.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I don't like the hot melt glue. If you live in the desert where the temps are over 100 and you have the rod in the back of your truck, it will be hot enough to loosen the tip and have it fall off. I have had it happen a couple times before. I would argue that you should never have to replace a quality tip top on a fly rod unless you are using long leaders all the time, the fly line is too thick to wear out the tip top. I use the same epoxy I use on the handle and grip.
I had this old St Croix Avid 6 wt that I fished a lot with all kinds of lines including somewhat dirty lines at times, and I think the dirt eventually got to the tip top (not the line itself) but maybe the right alloy prevents that. Is that what you mean by a quality tip top, that a hard enough metal will resist all the wear from normal use?