I need a tip top

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I need a tip top for a graphite 2 wt Redington CT which is now a 7'4" rod. It's a really small diameter blank up there at the tip of that 2 weight, but I don't have calipers or anything to measure. Any tips on how/where I can get the right size tip top to install? And what is the correct way to mount it, or I guess I'm just asking what's the right adhesive?

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Super glue, gorilla glue, epoxy all work for tip tops. Web search fly rod tip top kits and there'll be multi size kits available.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Hey Matt,
Tip tops are often attached with a hot melt glue like this. Probably the same stuff that goes in a crafting glue gun. Melt a drop onto the rod tip, heat the tip top and slide on to seat in the right position. Add some thread wraps to ramp up to the edge of the tip top & give it a thin epoxy coat
20220812_110422.jpg
If you still have the broken off tip and only a couple inches snapped off, you might be able to heat the metal tip top and slide it off to reuse

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
if you don't have calipers, you can hold it up to a drill bit set to get a sense of size. or take it to home depot and poke it into the screw size templates.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the tips on tip tops!
I don't think I have the old broken off one anymore, or that I ever did. I had it strung assembled in the car, windows down. It moved and was poking out the window, unbeknownst to me. When I hit the highway and the power windows, I heard a strange sound that made me get that sinking feeling in my stomach. I pulled over and sure enough I had broken my rod. This was quite a few years ago. I took it to Bainbridge Island for repair, and they were super nice to me and said they'd send me a new rod or a new rod piece, I can't remember, but I never got it. I called or wrote months later and eventually a whole new rod showed up, so I stashed away the broken one. Kid #1 is 6 now and I'm going to let him use one of them. Hence the need for a new tip top.
I hope I don't have to do thread wraps to ramp it up. Never done it and honestly don't feel like starting for this.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is the tool but it appears to be as scarce as hen's teeth right now.
1660334126353.png
Do you have a local shop that sells rod building components?
Oh, and tip top adhesive in case you're fortunate enough to groove the tip and need to replace it at some point.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
This is the tool but it appears to be as scarce as hen's teeth right now.
View attachment 27230
Do you have a local shop that sells rod building components?
Oh, and tip top adhesive in case you're fortunate enough to groove the tip and need to replace it at some point

Flex Coat Tip Top Adhesive

Thanks! I've got this^ and some tip tops sizes 3, 3.5, 4, and 4.5 coming. Found a video by Flex Coat on using the adhesive. Hopefully that ought to git-r-dun. I've been able to wear grooves in at least 2 rod tips so far.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I was about to say that I bet a bunch of us could do the repair for you, or show you. The flex coat videos are great

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I was about to say that I bet a bunch of us could do the repair for you, or show you. The flex coat videos are great
Thanks. Seems pretty straightforward. Can I just also say that the legendary Tip Top Cafe in Huntsville Alabama is where I saw my first live music as a teenager in the early 1990s.
1660342238940.png
So many sticky, sweaty, wild shows there.

Bagman

Steelhead
Matt, I have a repair guy that lives not far from me. He is not only good but not over the top as far a price. If you can get the rod to me I will get it to him. He replaced two stripping guides for me on a rod for $30 which included both stripping glides. Let me know.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I bought a kit like this 2-3 years ago.

Incredibly easy to repair tip tops. I tend to fish a lot of 9’6” rods and currently have a few 9’3”’s due to self repairs. I honestly can’t tell a difference casting them. Incredible easy to repair. Slice of a tiny sliver of the blue provide. Slip it in the tip top. Heat with a light. Position on rod and hold until dry enough to hold itself. No need for wraps or anything like that. 2 minute repair versus 3, 6…who knows how many months in for repair with a manufacturer.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Matt, I have a repair guy that lives not far from me. He is not only good but not over the top as far a price. If you can get the rod to me I will get it to him. He replaced two stripping guides for me on a rod for $30 which included both stripping glides. Let me know.
Thanks! If I manage to muck it up I may try that.

Bagman

Steelhead
Thanks. Seems pretty straightforward. Can I just also say that the legendary Tip Top Cafe in Huntsville Alabama is where I saw my first live music as a teenager in the early 1990s.
View attachment 27232
So many sticky, sweaty, wild shows there.
My first live concert was at the circle star in San Mateo CA. The head liner was The Beach Boys. It was 1964 I believe, my date for the night is taking a shower right now as I type this. yes I’m that old, and we’re still together.

Last edited:

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Matt, one more tip I've learned for attaching the tip top using hot melt glue, FWIW...

1. melt some glue over a small flame and rub off a layer around the end of the tip of the rod. 2. Holding the tip top with hackle pliers, I heat the tip top over the flame until it is hot to the touch. 3. I then slide the heated tip top onto the rod tip and make sure it is quickly aligned to the right side up. It will instantly melt the glue on the tip top and then cool enough to snug up. 4. Lastly, using your thumb nail I pull off any excess glue from around the bottom edge of the tip top and recheck alignment. If alignment is off, I reheat it over the flame until it can be turned and re-center it (I use an oven mitt to avoid burning my fingers!

If you'd like assistance I'm available in the Bothell/Mill Creek area. Ron

Bagman

Steelhead
Matt, if you have a crescent wrench you can use it like a mic. Just snug up the wrench on the tip of the rod so it can be taken away with out hanging up. I’m going to guess that the tip tops will be metric so just take a metric drill set and find the size that fits the gap. I hope this makes since.

Chucker

Steelhead
Super glue, gorilla glue, epoxy all work for tip tops.

Don’t use those! Tip tops actually wear out, and if you have used permanent glue, you can’t get them off to replace them. Low temperature hot melt glue is the stuff to use.

Used to be that you could walk into any fly shop and they would have a big box of tip tops, and a stick of glue. Job would be done in less than five minutes for a couple of bucks. Sounds like that doesn’t happen any more.

Bagman

Steelhead
Don’t use those! Tip tops actually wear out, and if you have used permanent glue, you can’t get them off to replace them. Low temperature hot melt glue is the stuff to use.

Used to be that you could walk into any fly shop and they would have a big box of tip tops, and a stick of glue. Job would be done in less than five minutes for a couple of bucks. Sounds like that doesn’t happen any more.
Add to that great information only the gorilla glue is water prof, and it swells as it dries.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
They probably do. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
9D50DB95-67AD-4920-B669-C65D8E74E019.jpegEBBDB19B-2D7E-4620-8B10-34D857E61B8C.jpeg

A # 4.0 ended up doing the trick. With some filing I might’ve been able to get the 3.5 on there but this seems good enough and I wasn’t up for filing on graphite. Seems questionable. I ended up using a pocket knife to shave off some glue slivers, roll them up between thumb and forefinger and stick in the hole. Heated it with a lighter and on the rod.

It looks like the original one had thread wraps and flex coat. That’s nice but I don’t think I’ll be doing that.
F897053A-B82D-48C8-AF47-A6D85D344177.jpeg

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
nice work! Love to see those home repairs.