I have never seen this reel /rod concept

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This has been around for a while and was initially sold as something to take the weight off of the rod. It was discussed a bit on an eastern fishing forum. Some people seem to think taking the reel off the rod really makes them a better caster, most seem to think it doesn't matter, or prefer with a reel on. Diff'rent strokes.

Divad

Whitefish
@DerekWhipple I saw that too, he markets it also for increasing distance. And even guarantees you will do so with it. A smart decision in widening the target audience, but I am skeptical on it increasing my distance.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
That's been done. Zebco push button reel was the reel of choice for a well known offender.
When we were little caught some big rock fish and flounder of the dock at jefferson head using a baitcaster we found and some hooks we scrounged up baited with those bitey green worms. Handlining more like it.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
When we were little caught some big rock fish and flounder of the dock at jefferson head using a baitcaster we found and some hooks we scrounged up baited with those bitey green worms. Handlining more like it.
We had very similar childhoods.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Or the cane pole I learned to catch perch on with a bobber and a worm oh and a split shot or two.
I'll chime in on this, too. When I was about a 13 year old Air Force brat, our family was stationed in Germany. I used to hang around a small pond on base looking for bugs, frogs or anything else entertaining. One day, a guy was fishing there and told me that there were some big fish at the bottom of the pond. Well, I just had to find out for myself.

I didn't have any fishing gear, so I found a nice straight branch and made one. I then tied some string to the tip (a la tenkara/frankenkara) and around another small piece of wood to serve as a bobber. I needed a hook, so I grabbed a paperclip and some tools. I bent it into shape with some needle nose pliers, created an eye and bashed the "point" of the hook flat with a hammer to create a barb, which I filed to a sharp point. Off I went to the pond with my spiffy new "gear".

I caught a grasshopper, impaled it on the hook, and made my cast. Long story short, nothing happened -- which, by the way, is not unusual for me. If I would have hooked up, I'm sure I'd have lost the fish as it would have surely straightened the hook. That was pretty much how I caught the fishing bug.

Our next duty station was in Montana, which greatly increased my odds and opportunities.

I still look back fondly on those early fishing adventures. I sometimes feel a little sad for those kids that weren't "free range" like many of us were growing up.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not fly related, but back in the 70’s I used to fish the Toutle a lot for steelhead.
There was an old guy that used a reel that was mounted on a leather strap that placed the reel on his chest.
While odd compared to our outfits, the old guy caught the hell out of steelhead using his outfit. Unconventional but effective.
I wish I had a picture of it.
SF

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Jeez, wonder what that mods that guy would come up with if he was casting a 12 weight for fish that would make coho feel trout-like (comparatively speaking).

Bagman

Steelhead
Jeez, wonder what that mods that guy would come up with if he was casting a 12 weight for fish that would make coho feel trout-like (comparatively speaking).
I use to trout fish in a lake that seemed to always have a bit of wind all the time, now I was fishing with a spinning out fit using an egg sinker and bait. I would find a stick to rest my rod on and pull out some line and hook a pop top on the line. When the trout would grab my bait the pop top would go airborne. Fish on1664041813576.png