NFR Humor

Non-fishing related

Rio Grande King

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Taken from the manufacturers of SPAM web page. What does the SPAM® brand name mean? There are some questions that continually plague man over time. Questions like 'Is there intelligent life beyond Earth?' And 'What is the meaning of the SPAM® brand name?' Unfortunately, we can provide answers to neither. The significance of the SPAM® brand name has long been a subject of speculation. One popular belief says its derived from the words 'spiced ham.' Others suggest its an acronym for 'shoulders of pork and ham.' The real answer is known by only a small circle of former Hormel Foods executives. And probably Nostradamus. So all these invented aconyms are just guesses because no one, other than the man who invented the name, ken daigneau, really knows if it means anything at all.
Ian Mayor, Manchester EnglandView attachment 41202
Hawaii - 1.jpeg

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I don't know about the above but I do know Spam sure calls me a lot on my phone ;)
Because of that I don't answer my cell phone. I just see where it came from and delete it. I'm boing to down robo calls so they don't even show up.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
“My kids are starting to notice I'm a little different from the other dads. ‘Why don't you have a straight job like everyone else?’ they asked me the other day.

I told them this story:
In the forest, there was a crooked tree and a straight tree. Every day, the straight tree would say to the crooked tree, ‘Look at me...I'm tall, and I'm straight, and I'm handsome. Look at you...you're all crooked and bent over. No one wants to look at you.’ And they grew up in that forest together. And then one day the loggers came, and they saw the crooked tree and the straight tree, and they said, ‘Just cut the straight trees and leave the rest.’So the loggers turned all the straight trees into lumber and toothpicks and paper. And the crooked tree is still there, growing stronger and stranger every day.”
Tom Waits

Ellen Jaskol/Los Angeles Times, 1989.
11B49FCA-95C5-42BC-9FD2-78DF4C2B0AE7.jpeg

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’d add the final scene in Django.

Not uber funny but real:
1668896726444.jpeg
I’ve driven around Seattle a couple times now (accidentally) with a poop bag on my bumper. Apparently it’ll never fall off, but the tailgaters stay back.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I lost a cell phone exactly that way.
As to knives, guess I’ve been a (non intentional) collector since 10 or so. My basket has maybe 50, but there’s a good dozen plus that are in occasional rotation. Unlike guys I read in forums that seem bent to punish, I take care of my knives, almost like children. Yeah, it’s just a tool, but in time (like 60+ years) they have attained a personal cult status. I would be sorely bummed to lose a favorite knife due to an irresponsible brain fart.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I lost a cell phone exactly that way.
As to knives, guess I’ve been a (non intentional) collector since 10 or so. My basket has maybe 50, but there’s a good dozen plus that are in occasional rotation. Unlike guys I read in forums that seem bent to punish, I take care of my knives, almost like children. Yeah, it’s just a tool, but in time (like 60+ years) they have
attained a personal cult status. I would be sorely bummed to lose a favorite knife due to an irresponsible brain fart.

I was homesteading on friends property clearing field grass with a scyth no less in the late 70’s and lost a beautiful Gerber from my dad and an early Buck knife. I was clearing a fallow field area between trees to move a tin can house a 14 x 70’ single mobile home. Newly weds expecting moving out to the sticks… anyway the loss of the Gerber was a bummer . Tall grass disguises everything. I looked for hours

Last edited:

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I was homesteading on friends property clearing field grass with a scyth no less in the late 70’s and lost a beautiful Gerber from my dad and an early Buck knife. I was clearing a fallow field area between trees to move a tin can house a 14 x 70’ single mobile home. Newly weds expecting moving out to the sticks… anyway the loss of the Gerber was a bummer . Tall grass disguises everything. I looked for hours
I have a Gerber to send you. A brass and rosewood “hunter” model that was popular in the 70s. It has a significant history, to me at least, which I would share in pm. If you want it I’d be happy to send, gratis. I don’t need it, and this knife’s history should continue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12