HRQ yesterday......

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
:(:mad::cry: While playing the third trout....HRQ broke at the 5th guide. It wasn’t even a bragging size fish.... A couple of possible reasons I can think of, first I was rotating the rod fighting the trout and it might’ve snapped while bending the pith side. Then it’s where I started to semi rectangle the tip section.....no node where it broke either. Oh well....another scarf and a little shorter.
582E7AC8-2E06-440B-9C78-04C1F1C331DF.jpeg

Last edited:

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Well that section of bamboo sucks! It didn’t make it out of my living room....flex test broke above the scarf. So.....now it’s a 3+3! Hex butt, quad mid and round graphite tip section! A real Frankenrod!

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Every failure is a chance to sharpen up a new experiences and skills development in repairs. I'm sure you'll figure out something.(y)

Mike

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Well.....as the title reads.....HRQ yesterday......broke on the tip(mid) section again. Something suspicious about that bamboo used for the original tip section. The 100 year old + bamboo from my grandfather is still fine, like the first PMQ I made from it. So now, do I shorten it further and use the graphite tip section or scarf a hex tip section to keep it all bamboo?? Decisions to be made.......screw it for now, fishing time!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Might be time to bag that one and work out a replacement design. Now that you have all that free time, but you can't fix it if your fishing.:)

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
So I made the decision to keep it all bamboo......I scarfed on a hex bamboo tip section today. I’m spending more time working/fixing this rod than fishing with it.....good thing I now have the time! There’s only about 2’ of quad left.....
1A3B0E35-E6BC-4BBA-9B09-7B6D1710A5E6.jpeg

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I recently got to actually hold HRQ. It is pretty cool. A wet line ?
Chris, lately I’ve been using a wet line on HRQ......casts that line well. Crystal River type III sink, best wet line I’ve used especially for the $$.

Last edited: