How would you fish this? Beginner in need of help.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Tapered leaders are expensive. I use them until I have clipped enough off the end that they are noticably thicker at the tip then when they were new. Then I tie on 24" or so of tippet (mono or fluoro), using a triple surgeon's knot. You can totaly tie on fluoro tippet to a mono leader, just make sure the tippet is equal to or smaller diameter than the leader you are trying it to. Then you are just clipping off and replacing cheap tippet. I can make a tapered leader last months this way. Another option is to tie a "tippet ring" (very small metal ring) to the end of the tapered leader, then tie tippet to that.
Yes, they are expensive. Especially Flouro Tapered leaders. Sounds like I should be fine just adding Flouro to my existing mono leaders. I'm fine using a surgeon's knot or double uni. Never thought above using tippet rings? As easy as a surgeon's knot is, probably just stick with that. Thanks for the advise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The sink rate of fluro is of little significance, when you are using weighted flies (which you should be doing).

The argument for fluro is more about abrasion resistance. Mono is fine, for dry flies or shallow subsurface presentations, because it won't be dragged against rocks all day. If you're bouncing the bottom at all, fluro will last far longer.

You need a tapered leader, for casting. There are exceptions to that, such as casting streamers on a sink tip line, with a short leader. That doesn't apply to what you're doing, though.

If you want to get technical, you should only have one diameter of line, below the surface. That minimizes the impact of the faster water speed, toward the surface. However, that is the least of your concerns.

Well, the area I'll be in on my upcoming trip is generally really rocky so I'll definitely tie some flouro on.

I've got some sinking lines for streamers. A few places up there have some good streamer water so that will probably be an option as well. I've got some Buggers but will pick up a few streamers as well before the trip. I've got 3 1/2 days to fish so I'm hoping to use this trip to learn and as a testing ground for some different techniques. Unlike most fishing trip, no time constraints each day.

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yes, they are expensive. Especially Flouro Tapered leaders. Sounds like I should be fine just adding Flouro to my existing mono leaders. I'm fine using a surgeon's knot or double uni. Never thought above using tippet rings? As easy as a surgeon's knot is, probably just stick with that. Thanks for the advise.
Careful with surgeons knot and mono to fluoro. The fluoro will cut into the mono. Double uni works better for mono to fluoro, IME. Just wish I were better and faster at tying them.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Careful with surgeons knot and mono to fluoro. The fluoro will cut into the mono. Double uni works better for mono to fluoro, IME. Just wish I were better and faster at tying them.

Well that’s a good point. Didn’t even think about that. I’m used to tying braid to flouro.

Double Uni it is. Little slower but I can tie them in my sleep.