How would you fish this? Beginner in need of help.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So I've been to this river several times over the years and I have failed to land any of the small trout holding in the area. I've become a little obsessed with catching some here to say the least.

I'm thinking the trout are small cutties from the brief glimpse I get of them when they jump and come off the hook. That being said, I have also only used small spinners in the area previously. This year, I'm going full fly gear and trying to decide the best approach.

The water is moving fast but the circled areas have a much lower flow with some fairly deep pools of 4 to 8 feet and I know the trout hold up in the areas. I have been to this section of this river maybe 5 times now over the last 7 or so years and the flows have always been very similar.

I'm still a beginner but I'm thinking some sort of beaded nymph rig? Maybe a single or double set up with some size 14 to 18 nymphs? Some drop shot? These little trout are probably in the 6 to 8 inch range but maybe there are a few bigger ones holding in there? The water is gin clear so maybe something flashy like a purple duracell? But, what do I know? Like I said, very much the beginner.

Will be using a 5wt 9 foot rod because, that's what I got. Bu I'm also unclear of whether to use a sinking line or floating line if going the nymph route? I've got both no issues there. But, again, beginner here!

I'd be fishing the camera side of the river which is about 15 feet down from the camera.

So, how would you fish this?

Q6GGpTmh.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
1) Play ESN/tightline with what you got, about 15' of leader and your favorite weighted nymphs, looks like hares ear and a pats water to me. Position middle and hide yourself near shore the best you can, good clean drag free drifts. If you really need to use a strike indicator. 2) Swing a cast of softhackles. Include a partridge and orange for sure. 3) Muddlers, weighted (swung for the most part) and not (drift). 4) Cutts = renegade dry.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I'd be stripping streamers through both of those, provided you can get to the other side of the river.
SF

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I really like this question. I'd fish it dry only first, Hopper or stimulator. Then nymph it, stone fly w/ a PT (or something similar). Then strip a streamer, rolled BH muddler or something like that. Cover all the bases until you find what works.

If you can get to the other side, that inside seam between the two blue circles looks like tasty nymphing water.

Chadk

Life of the Party
I'd run a dry from top to bottom of each. Work a grid pattern keeping an eye on any movement. Then a double nymph rig and/or streamer. Don't be afraid to cast upstream. A combo of fast stripping and lifting the rod tip to keep up the slack for those short casts should do it. Be sure you have your polarized glasses and watch closely. Also, that middle spot looks good as well. Anything other than the actual white water... An elk hair caddis is a good general pattern for searching with. And for non-picky mountain stream trout, a royal wolf is a classic I like to fish as it is highly visible and floats really well.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I like the the circle on the right best. Fish that seam where the fast water meets the slow and anywhere with some cover for fish to hide. I'd run a dry all through there and then go back through with a nymph. Then I'd do the same with the upstream section.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I'd run a dry from top to bottom of each. Work a grid pattern keeping an eye on any movement. Then a double nymph rig and/or streamer. Don't be afraid to cast upstream. A combo of fast stripping and lifting the rod tip to keep up the slack for those short casts should do it. Be sure you have your polarized glasses and watch closely. Also, that middle spot looks good as well. Anything other than the actual white water... An elk hair caddis is a good general pattern for searching with. And for non-picky mountain stream trout, a royal wolf is a classic I like to fish as it is highly visible and floats really well.
My approach would be similar and I agree about the middle spot, especially right up tight in that eddy corner where there’s even a submerged boulder. Also, if dead drifting a dry didn’t work, I’d definitely try twitching it and skating the tail outs before I started chucking weighted flies in there.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’d tightline nymph the right-hand circle. Cast out a foot, get a good drift right at surface, then mid-depth, then bottom. Then cast out two feet and get a good drift. Lather, rinse, repeat. Then I'd step half my casting distance up the bank, and repeat until I'd fished the pillows ahead of the rocks.

For the other area, I'd fish a dry dropper rig. Probably a big ant pattern like a chubby and something with a big bead and like a PTN.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Holy crap everyone, that's a ton of information and huge help. I really appreciate the advise!

Sounds like I need to start on top with some drys and then work by way down to a nymph with a dry dropper set up in between. I've got a pretty good selections of drys and nymphs so I should be good to go. I don't really have any streamers but I've got some cone head Buggers that would probably work.

A couple of responses to some of the above;

1. I can't to the other side unfortunately but I can get down low to river level. This photo is a bit of an optical illusion with the river about 15 or so fee down but there is plenty of shore access along the near side. Just hard to see in this photo.

2. I agree the section in between the two circle is probably a great holding spot. I actually edited this photo (not mine) with the circle a while back before I really started to learn how to read water. I know the fish hold up in the circle but I suspect they will be in between as well.

A couple questions,

1. Would there be any use or need to some drop shot with a nymph set up? The water is moving pretty good so wondering if that would help?

2. I'm assuming floating line for every technique correct?

And thanks again for all the help so far. I'll be there beginning of August to will definitely report back. I can't freaking wait to his this spot again.

This is fun being able to see everyone's advise.

Jim

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Holy crap everyone, that's a ton of information and huge help. I really appreciate the advise!

Sounds like I need to start on top with some drys and then work by way down to a nymph with a dry dropper set up in between. I've got a pretty good selections of drys and nymphs so I should be good to go. I don't really have any streamers but I've got some cone head Buggers that would probably work.

A couple of responses to some of the above;

1. I can't to the other side unfortunately but I can get down low to river level. This photo is a bit of an optical illusion with the river about 15 or so fee down but there is plenty of shore access along the near side. Just hard to see in this photo.

2. I agree the section in between the two circle is probably a great holding spot. I actually edited this photo (not mine) with the circle a while back before I really started to learn how to read water. I know the fish hold up in the circle but I suspect they will be in between as well.

A couple questions,

1. Would there be any use or need to some drop shot with a nymph set up? The water is moving pretty good so wondering if that would help?

2. I'm assuming floating line for every technique correct?

And thanks again for all the help so far. I'll be there beginning of August to will definitely report back. I can't freaking wait to his this spot again.

This is fun being able to see everyone's advise.

Jim
A cone head bugger should be perfect for stripping around in that water. Be sure to upsize your tippet from what you use with dries or small nymphs in order to avoid casting frustration.
I look to split shot as a last resort but it can help get nymphs down if you need to. It just casts like sh*t. And yes, floating line for dries and nymphs and should work in this spot with a cone head bugger.

RCF

Life of the Party
I’d tightline nymph the right-hand circle. Cast out a foot, get a good drift right at surface, then mid-depth, then bottom. Then cast out two feet and get a good drift. Lather, rinse, repeat. Then I'd step half my casting distance up the bank, and repeat until I'd fished the pillows ahead of the rocks.

For the other area, I'd fish a dry dropper rig. Probably a big ant pattern like a chubby and something with a big bead and like a PTN.

The advice about fishing close and then move out a bit, then a bit more is right on. Not only for nymphs but also for dries and emergers. Droppers too...

In water like that dries need to float well and high. They will get dunked and if buoyant enough will pop up and continue to be fishy.

Gorgeous spot to fish. Hope you get a lot of tugs...

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I feel like I can repeatedly drift a small dry over holding water without scaring the fish too much (especially with a long leader so the floating line isn't passing directly overhead), so I try that first. It leaves the option for nymphs or streamers after, but if you start by ripping the conehead bugger through, my feeling is the trout might decide to take next half an hour off.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I'd euro-nymph (aka not flyfishing) that, right side looks more promising. Even the middle looks better than the left.
Tungsten pats stone as bottom fly, lighter 3mm tungsten jig nymph like a duracell or orange torch as top fly.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks guys. I've got a good selection of Caddis, Chubbies and Stone Flys and other dries so I think I'm set to test the top water and I think I'm set for below as well.

It's amazing how one relatively small run of water can provide so many options and different opinions on how to fish it. Although I think everyone for the most part is in agreement to try top to bottom and close to far working back and forth.

For most of you, a run like this is probably an easy puzzle to solve but for newbies to fly fishing like myself, it can be a bit overwhelming to focus and get a plan together. I really appreciate all the responses and everyone's willingness to give advise.

This trip is one I make every year and I'm more excited this year than ever having a fly rod in hand. Luckily, or maybe not luckily, this is only one of about a dozen spots I need to sort out. I'm probably overthinking it but I want to get a general plan in order so in future years, this area will be like second nature to me.

Last edited:

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice looking water.
I would fish that with a dry fly, caddis or Yellow Sally.
As for landing 6" to 8" trout. Why?
If you can get the little guys to take yer fly and stay on for a moment or two that is good enough, ya don't want to put yer hands of them anyway.
If I was going to nymph that area I would still use a floating line.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice looking water.
I would fish that with a dry fly, caddis or Yellow Sally.
As for landing 6" to 8" trout. Why?
If you can get the little guys to take yer fly and stay on for a moment or two that is good enough, ya don't want to put yer hands of them anyway.
If I was going to nymph that area I would still use a floating line.
Thanks. I don't think the water holds anything but some smaller trout but I've never really been able to land them set so there could be some larger ones holding there. Just used small spinners in the past. We shall see. While the water is very clear in some areas, some of the seams and other moving areas are hard to see into so who knows what might be holding down there?

I've always fished with a net and rarely if ever handle the fish with my hands.