How to hold a trout?

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Oh boy… @clarkman et al…calling people trolls, especially if they are new to fly fishing and wanting to learn does not helping to increase membership here. But maybe that’s not what some of y’all want. Do you want this place to be a small gathering?

Personally I would like to see more women on the forum and this doesn’t help.

Thank you @Old406Kid !

Do you have confirmation the new member is a female .....or are you just assuming?

Kinda like i assumed it was a troll post?

Xoxo

A couple of reasons i don’t think jennyferraynor is a troll.

1. A cursory search on the internet shows a fly fisher woman with the same name. The only reason i looked the name up just now is because i don’t want assume like you did @Peyton00 …. I realize I could be wrong and it’s a coincidence. But some of y’all are pretty untrusting and i get it, but honestly not everyone knows that there is an expectation that a newbie has to follow some protocol before posting the first time. ( I’ve beat this horse before on the old place too.)

2. The second reason i don’t think she is a troll is because she posted on Monday and hasn’t been seen since maybe because she didn’t feel welcome. I would think a troll would love to stick around and banter back and forth and continue trolling.

We barely have any women on here and didn’t at the old site either. Honestly, it can be intimidating and hard for any woman to find their footing posting on a fishing forum, especially if they are new.

I thought we wanted this place to grow. Even a small comment on a newbie’s post about trolling is the opposite of building membership.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Male or female, someone whose first post is an open-ended (and easily googled) question that gets 40+ mostly helpful responses, but who then ghosts their own thread for several days should probably expect a few suspicious responses! Not really trolling, but definitely bot-like.

The couple "are you a troll" posts here are pretty mild and delivered with humor, especially given that the OP has neither thanked anyone for responding, nor reacted to any responses, as would be normal human communication practice, internet or not!

So - @jennyferraynor if you're a real person looking to join the forum, welcome! And please jump in here to introduce yourself - the water's fine! :giggle:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
A couple of reasons i don’t think jennyferraynor is a troll.

1. A cursory search on the internet shows a fly fisher woman with the same name. The only reason i looked the name up just now is because i don’t want assume like you did @Peyton00 …. I realize I could be wrong and it’s a coincidence. But some of y’all are pretty untrusting and i get it, but honestly not everyone knows that there is an expectation that a newbie has to follow some protocol before posting the first time. ( I’ve beat this horse before on the old place too.)

2. The second reason i don’t think she is a troll is because she posted on Monday and hasn’t been seen since maybe because she didn’t feel welcome. I would think a troll would love to stick around and banter back and forth and continue trolling.

We barely have any women on here and didn’t at the old site either. Honestly, it can be intimidating and hard for any woman to find their footing posting on a fishing forum, especially if they are new.

I thought we wanted this place to grow. Even a small comment on a newbie’s post about trolling is the opposite of building membership.
Yea an accomplished fisherwoman that's able to be googled would know not to lip a trout like a bass.
Kid?
Bot.
Troll.
JenTravers?

Xoxo

OK, I’ll concede . Y’all likely recognize know trolls more than I do.
I don’t have a Twitter account anymore but i could see there was a fly fisher named Jennifer Raynor. It’s not a super uncommon name but also not common and a person with the same name talking about fly fishing on Twitter seems legit to me. However, Twitter and Facebook get hacked all the time, one reason i quit, and i suppose someone could use her name here.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I don’t have a Twitter account anymore but i could see there was a fly fisher named Jennifer Raynor. It’s not a super uncommon name but also not common and a person with the same name talking about fly fishing on Twitter seems legit to me. However, Twitter and Facebook get hacked all the time, one reason i quit, and i suppose someone could use her name here.
I have 2 girls that I hope will fly fish, if they can get over being scared to death of bugs. So the women are a comin'

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

Could be a bot.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Eh, maybe, maybe not. Honestly though, I don't mind getting called out. Made me go back and look how it could be taken, which isn't bad idea...

Divad

Whitefish
What's the payoff in this scam? Convince us it is a real person and then put something up for sale?
I think “scam” got used loosely. Timmy has no healthy hobbies, when closed in isolation Timmy gets bored and looks for attention. If you search the user they’ve posted on everything from soap making to hunting.

Same post was on Reddit, but under a main account from Australia. People strive for attention in the goofiest of ways.

Reactions: Zak

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I think “scam” got used loosely. Timmy has no healthy hobbies, when closed in isolation Timmy gets bored and looks for attention. If you search the user they’ve posted on everything from soap making to hunting.

Same post was on Reddit, but under a main account from Australia. People strive for attention in the goofiest of ways.
It's a VerticalScope seeker bot probing for weaknesses

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Gullibility
A tendency to be easily persuaded that something is real or true.