How to hold a trout?

c2peak

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Hello, and welcome to the board!

Personally, I try not to hold a trout. I use a "Measure Net" and try to keep them in the water in the net to unhook if necessary; they often throw the barbless hook in the net. If taking a photo I get the camera ready with the fish still in the water, then lift the net just long enough to take a photo, then submerge the net again to look at the photo while letting it get upright and moving-swimming. Finally I tilt the net to let it swim out.
View attachment 28774
If I have to hold a fish I wet my hand first and grasp lightly near the middle.

This is pretty much what I do. I try not to touch them at all. I always use either barbless or crush the barb if the hook has one.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
They sink! Do you keep them on a zinger or have a float attached or, you live dangerously? (Other things that sink: Leatherman Micra, hemostat(s), fly rods, Olympus Tough.)
I was using one until the little plastic ring on the back end snapped off, making it less convenient.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Lots of folks will tell you stuff like "use a rubber net" or "grab them by the peduncle so you can do the Instagram tail lift" (don't forget to cock your elbow and stare at the fish), but one tip that often gets overlooked is to turn trouts upside-down by turning them on their back. It calms them a bit which in turn helps you get the hook out if you're struggling.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
View attachment 29029
I can't believe no one has mentioned these. They are amazing. Slide it down the line, flip, fish off. I have all 3 sizes.
I started experimenting with a diy hook remover made from a toothbrush handle after hack-sawing the brush head off, filing down the rough edge from the sawcut, and pre-drilling a small hole in the end lengthwise to screw in a small brass hook.
20220825_071825.jpg
Run the bend of the brass hook down tippet to the bend of the fly hook, give a little twist, and the fly's out.
We have several toothbrushes around that the dentist gives us every six months, I use the hooks to hang Christmas lights so I have a bunch of hooks in a parts bin, and it literally takes five minutes to make. Took longer to post this so I found a lanyard is more trouble than it's worth.

gpt

Smolt
don't handle any fish out of water. nice hook release tools are commonly available. do the fish a favor and play quickly and release in the water, no hero shots out of the water, period...

Xoxo

If this thread makes it to page 2...she might get troll of the month \ thread of the month.
Oh boy… @clarkman et al…calling people trolls, especially if they are new to fly fishing and wanting to learn does not helping to increase membership here. But maybe that’s not what some of y’all want. Do you want this place to be a small gathering?

Personally I would like to see more women on the forum and this doesn’t help.
Personally, I take this as as sincere question and not every new person, especially one that is also new to and asking about better fish handling, knows the 'etiquette' of posting your life history before asking a simple question.
Welcome @jennyferraynor
Thank you @Old406Kid !

Xoxo

BTW…. @jennyferraynor ….Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another woman here.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Oh boy… @clarkman et al…calling people trolls, especially if they are new to fly fishing and wanting to learn does not helping to increase membership here. But maybe that’s not what some of y’all want. Do you want this place to be a small gathering?

Personally I would like to see more women on the forum and this doesn’t help.

Thank you @Old406Kid !
Okkk......I went back reread my response, which I didn't think came off really strongly (still don't). Then, I went back to the OP and reread that and still seeing as it's a first and only post, I still think it might have been a troll post (I'm not one to judge if the person is a troll, but the post looked like it) which if it is, I got a good chuckle out of it. I never really noticed the username until just now. I also look at how I would take my comment had I made the original post....I chuckled to myself.

Plenty of excellent answers to the question.

Cheers

cedarslug

Steelhead
Heh I roll my eyes at most "grip and grins" with trout. There's photos of gloved handling, gill fucking, and trout thrown back into the water. Sure they claim "catch and release", but all that rough handling doesn't help the trout's chance of survival. Plus, nobody looks good in the grip and grins - looking at you, Fonzie. Most of the time, kids get a pass, because they're young only once.

Don't even get me started on beached trout pics.