How to hold a trout?

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Hello, and welcome to the board!
How should i be holding a trout. Should i put my thumb in its mouth or is there a different way
Personally, I try not to hold a trout. I use a "Measure Net" and try to keep them in the water in the net to unhook if necessary; they often throw the barbless hook in the net. If taking a photo I get the camera ready with the fish still in the water, then lift the net just long enough to take a photo, then submerge the net again to look at the photo while letting it get upright and moving-swimming. Finally I tilt the net to let it swim out.
1661214064258.jpeg
If I have to hold a fish I wet my hand first and grasp lightly near the middle.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Should i put my thumb in its mouth or is there a different way
Nope. That is only for bass (and some folks will argue that you shouldn't do it there either). Trout have weak jaws that won't support their weight if lifted that way.

If they are a decent size, just cradle them under/around their pelvic (front) fins and then with your other hand around their tail. If they are smaller, you can usually hold them with one hand. Just don't squeeze. And get those hands wet before you touch the fish.

Even better is to use a landing net. Even if you are going for a quick photo, the less handling you have to do to land/release a fish, the better.

Some good advice here:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
How should i be holding a trout. Should i put my thumb in its mouth or is there a different way

It depends.
Do you plan to release it or harvest it?
SF

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I suspect nobody would bother to ask how to hold a trout if they were fishing for the grill/freezer.

Maybe somebody new to fishing might.
SF

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Wet your hands first to protect the trout's slime. I find that if I can get the trout lying on its side in my palm it doesn't thrash around. But as said above, I try not to handle them at all. I grab my barbless fly and manipulate it out of the trout's lip without touching the trout, if possible.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
  1. Use barbless hooks, regardless of whether the regulations require it. Barbless hooks are much easier to remove from fish and humans. Barbs do little to improve your chances of landing a fish.
  2. Use a net. The fish will unhook themselves, much of the time. When they don't, you can usually just slide your hand down to the fly, not touch the fish directly and not even remove them from the net. Look up Adamsbuilt, for great value nets.
  3. If you must touch the fish, make sure your hands are wet. Flipping them upside down sometimes makes them easier to deal with. Forceps are also very helpful, for removing deep hooks.

longputt

Steelhead
I think most mis-handling comes from trying to get a nice picture. I take one picture each trip to make a record of my trip...most of the time it is not a magazine quality picture because the fish usually don't pose very well and flop right before you press the button. Over the course of the year I'll get a couple of nice photos but it is luck, not trying to pose a person or fish.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Maybe there should be a rule about starting a thread with your first post. Anyway there were some good posts, and it's always good to think about how you treat your dance partner.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Personally, I take this as as sincere question and not every new person, especially one that is also new to and asking about better fish handling, knows the 'etiquette' of posting your life history before asking a simple question.
Welcome @jennyferraynor