How’s that weather treating everyone?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
It’s pretty nice where I’m at. 70s for air temps. As per the yhoozh, mostly small bass and decent sunfish are the quarry here. It’s just...February! Would like to try the fly rod some today but there’s now an 80% chance of rain. It’s warm and muggy and feels like there could be a thunderstorm. 39BE19F6-2990-41AA-BF7F-5191773440D5.jpegF6119403-61F1-4912-9ACB-7BCE2459022E.jpeg53CAF29D-C372-40EF-84C2-EA7AF9A04F09.jpeg

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Jealous!

Cold and windy here in Seattle. Hasn't broke 30 yet. But we in Seattle should count our blessings, Portland is dealing with lots of snow after this system.

I'd use a sinking line with a small hairs ear nymph (or the like), or soft hackle for those pan fry fish.

Sam

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I’m in the DC area for a few weeks. It’s going to be 80 today.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Watching the SEEGER Effect first hand. Breezy, blue sky, and we might make it to 20F. I expect fresh ice on most of my early season lakes. Got the pellet stove cranked up and plenty of work to do.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
Roads are ice covered in my southern Willamette Valley neighborhood. Not even going to try and leave for work until 10 this morning. A little snow makes it all look pretty.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Western Washington county... "just a dusting" someone better clue these weather peeps in about the Seeger effect. They missed it by a mile. I pity anyone that was on the road in the Portland area last night, the traffic reports on the radio were nasty.
IMG_20230223_085034.jpg

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
snow on the beach, Portland breaks snow records with 10", and here at 4200' in Sunriver barely 2". Buddy in Portland posted some Instagram clips he recorded of vehicle mayhem on a main street downtown. Brings to mind a friend, now passed, who made serious bank off his body shop...'as long as people drive, I've got work.'

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Jeez Louise, I actually had no idea the extent of all that! Our house/dog-sitter sent a pic of the dusting we got and so I thought the folks who’ve posted their warm water Jones might be interested (and a little envious). Glad everyone is hangin’ in.

So today has been a bit breezy but I noticed that when the W lays down that the midges start skittering (they might be emergers for all I know lol, but they sure are tiny. Like winter western tailwater tiny) and the fish started swirling. It’s a very transient thing. So I cut off the popper/prince and tied on some 2x and a little 16 or 18 black foam beetle that has the little built in yellow yarn indicator, and off that some 4x to a super tiny, like 20 or 22 zebra midge from my Dad’s Davidson River fly box. No interest at first, but set it aside and noticed later that it was happening, went over (in shorts, t shirt and flip flops btw) and Boom, missed one/got one! Then they stopped.

They seem to be staging to spawn in some areas.
97E8E88A-A87A-4A8D-BCFA-8AF8BA03ECCA.jpeg
Cool-lookin’ BG.

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Jealous!

Cold and windy here in Seattle. Hasn't broke 30 yet. But we in Seattle should count our blessings, Portland is dealing with lots of snow after this system.

I'd use a sinking line with a small hairs ear nymph (or the like), or soft hackle for those pan fry fish.

Sam
Thanks for the recommendation! I don’t have access to a sinking line at the moment and there’s actually already filamentous algae in lots of the shallows.