Hoppers

It is August which in my hood means terrestrial season. Got out for the past few days to see if there was a bite..

This really is an amazing landscape and spectacular spot to chase a trout. The ranches are for the most part still in tact so there is not the development you see on other main stems in the area. In many ways catching a fish is a bonus.

DSC_2290.jpg

I was solo so besides fishing I spent a lot of time just hanging out on the river. Kind of fun having no agenda and being on your own schedule. This is one of my favorite views. I could sit here for hours, which I did.

DSC_2312(1).jpg

Fishing was slow. I managed to get a few slaps/high fives each day but can count on one hand the number of legit eats. Folks were nymphing up a few if you were willing to put on a bobber but I'm committed to the dry.

This was fish of the trip. First fish of the season on the hopper and I was happy to put points on the board.

FullSizeRender(65).jpg

More to come as hopefully the bite picks up.

Shad

Life of the Party
I’ve been looking at Davie McFail’s hopper patterns…no foam, knotted pheasant tail for legs…
Love his videos and ties. A true master.

He also does a really simple foam and rubberlegs version of a hopper that is super easy to tie and works.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I’ve been looking at Davie McFail’s hopper patterns…no foam, knotted pheasant tail for legs…
There's a reason I buy that style...a: can't tie it for shit and b: they work so damn well!