Hoppers

It is August which in my hood means terrestrial season. Got out for the past few days to see if there was a bite..

This really is an amazing landscape and spectacular spot to chase a trout. The ranches are for the most part still in tact so there is not the development you see on other main stems in the area. In many ways catching a fish is a bonus.

DSC_2290.jpg

I was solo so besides fishing I spent a lot of time just hanging out on the river. Kind of fun having no agenda and being on your own schedule. This is one of my favorite views. I could sit here for hours, which I did.

DSC_2312(1).jpg

Fishing was slow. I managed to get a few slaps/high fives each day but can count on one hand the number of legit eats. Folks were nymphing up a few if you were willing to put on a bobber but I'm committed to the dry.

This was fish of the trip. First fish of the season on the hopper and I was happy to put points on the board.

FullSizeRender(65).jpg

More to come as hopefully the bite picks up.

TDub

No fish here
Forum Supporter
That looks sweet as hell. That fish may be small for a Swimmy fish, but it's a pretty one.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Got out for a float today. Love the lower river.

DSC_2374.jpg

I pretty much fished dries all day and didn't touch a fish. My friend was not as stubborn and got a decent one drifting a sculpin pattern under the indicator.

DSC_2438.jpg

I've never seen bears down here before but we were on this same stretch a few days ago and spotted one. Today we saw one again and I'm pretty sure it was different bear. Really cool.

DSC_2399.jpg

Late in our day a good storm moved in. Looks like the headwaters are also getting heavy rain so I bet this thing is a mudhole tomorrow. Wife wants to get out so might need a plan B.

DSC_2443.jpg

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I notice that your friend there is wearing fashion that is quite a few years out of date. Better warn him, if he's not careful he's gonna turn in to me.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
I notice that your friend there is wearing fashion that is quite a few years out of date. Better warn him, if he's not careful he's gonna turn in to me.

Right?

Camo hoody and cotton shorts? WTF?

kmudgn

Steelhead
Over the years I used to tie all sorts of hoppers: Joe's, Dave's, Letort, etc.. The last few years I have just been tying a generic hopper/beetle called the Unsinkableetle. Its foam based, easy to tie and seems to catch as many fish as when I tied a specific bug. I tie it in two colors, brown and green and use appropriate version based on what I see.

kmudgn

Steelhead
That is the exact video I used as a go-by for the pattern. I do color the eyes & body spots, but don't bother with the leg stripes. I tied up a few with an orange hot spot on the tail, but found it no better than red thread. Its just one of those flies that works. Good luck!