Hooks For Musky Flies

N. Metz

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What hooks are people tying their musky flies on? I've seen Clarkaman's thread in the classifieds and see he is using Ahrex Aberdeen's and Ahrex TP610's. I typically use Gami B10S hooks in size 2/0 to 5/0. However, I have yet to tangle with a large musky on them. I have caught 5 or 6 small tigers but never a large tiger or pure strain. I'm a bit concerned that the hook may bend or be straightened out due to the long shank. However, I also need a longer shank to tie in everything I need to and create a fly that "pushes some water". I've caught some big 15-17 pound pike but a large pure strain musky could weight 50 pounds or more. I've considered Gami SL12S and Sl11-3H hooks. However, the SL12S is shorter shank and the SL11-3H doesn't have a large enough gap in my opinion.

Thanks,

Nick

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
B10S are plenty strong. We've used them for tuna. Stronger than the TP610 (and 605, which is the light version). The thing I personally don't like with the B10S is that the workable shank space is less per overall hook length. I also like the thinner wire of the Ahrex because it'll penetrate easier.

That said, I did bend one last year (nowhere close to straight)...landed the fish, bent the hook back and was right back at it. I also find Ahrex easier to sharpen when necessary.

I've been through a lot of different types of hooks. There's a good reason I've settled on what I've settled on.

N. Metz

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have some Ahrex SA220 hooks that I like quite a bit. Damn expensive hooks though. Probably worth it since musky are musky and I only need / can fit so many musky flies with me.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Yeah, not cheap.

A couple of things I don't like to skimp on. Good hooks and good bucktail....that second one is just personal preference....but the first is extremely important.