Hook size/dimension labeling poll

Would you find it helpful for hook manufacturers to include measurements of their hooks in labeling?

• Yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Apropos of a discussion here on the board...

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I voted yes. And I would say put them in metric units. Now, I teach 6 days of US and Metric measures and conversions in College. Half the kids have no clue as to the reality of what a metric measure amounts to.
But I'm fine with the current system, I really don't care.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Reactions: Zak

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I voted yes. And I would say put them in metric units. Now, I teach 6 days of US and Metric measures and conversions in College. Half the kids have no clue as to the reality of what a metric measure amounts to.
But I'm fine with the current system, I really don't care.
Listing the hook shank length and gap in mm just seems like a no-brainer to me. Print it on the package and/or list it online.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Listing the hook shank length and gap in mm just seems like a no-brainer to me. Print it on the package and/or list it online.
I agree. I don't think it would take much to add those when it comes time for a firm to redo their packaging.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I agree. I don't think it would take much to add those when it comes time for a firm to redo their packaging.
Presumably, the manufacturer or even a purchaser/re-packager has this data, and if not, wouldn’t take too much effort (add much cost) to obtain it.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Huge trout, pushing 25cm!

9BQJgy1.jpg

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Ahrex does this on their website. I’ve found it helpful when comparing different males and models for similar uses for sure.

And second the fly hooks page but I like how the ahrex site lays it out better but fly hooks page is def appreciated

Bob N

Steelhead
Back in the mid 90’s Dick Stewart wrote “A Hook Book” that contained measurements for fly hooks that existed at that time.