Hook Eye

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
As with most fly tiers, I started out using Mustad hooks and most had a down hook eye configuration. As time marched on and massive changes started to occur in fly tying, I found myself using the new, super sharp longer shank slight curve hooks with ring eyes more and more . I always wondered why hooks had an up, down or ring eye. I believed it must have something to do with the hooking ability. Ultimately, I decided it didn't make one bit of difference as to the hook eye configuration and my ability to bring a fish to hand. Not really a scientific method but good enough for me.

I did know for sure that I have a much easier time using ring eye hooks to tie flies than any other configuration ... up, down, whatever ... because it is easier to tie the majority of flies I use these days on a ring eye hook, that's what I do.

So what's the opinion in regards to hook eye configuration? I certainly wouldn't care one way or the other if I didn't tie my own flies.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Haven't really tied many flies on anything other then straight eyed hooks in many years.
Like most things in fishing, just a personal preference and confidence thing.
SF

RCF

Life of the Party
I tie nymphs and streamers on straight eyes. My dries are tied on a down eye. I find it easier to tie bead head flies on a straight eye and also easier to tie on the tippet. Probably why I made the change years ago.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
Way, way back when, fisher persons tied flies on to their leader with a turle knot. The shape of the eye, turned up or down enabled them to seat the knot to the fly without it slipping over the eye.

That makes sense by why up or down?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
That makes sense by why up or down?
I think the idea is that whether up or down, the Turle knot works best with a hook eye that is set at an angle. A Turle knot won’t work right with a straight eye hook.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I had also heard, that the difference between up or down also had something to do with how the fly planed up or down in the water, similar to plane wings.
Hook setting, was another factor talked about as well.
Then there’s those gut loops and leaders…???
🧐🧐🧐

Rainforest Gump

Steelhead
I’ve always thought that that tying to a straight eye hook with either a loop knot or any knot that cinched down tight to the eye aligned the shank and the point better . Which is what a trule knot would accomplish . leaders for steelhead gear fishing tied on turned up eye hooks also tied around the shank and through the eye like the “egg loop “ knot - same idea

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
A Turle knot ties around the shank of the hook and the leader exits straight out of an up or down eyed hook. If you tie a Turle knot so the leader exits from the rear of the eye on a down eyed hook, your fly will behave as if it were hitched. Down eyed hooks for my muddlers!