Hinman Glacier

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
By the time I see posts like this it is too late to comment before a major disagreement with someone I may have on ignore.

I'm sorry to hear that Skip. I appreciate you and your posts. You can address your comments towards me and then maybe no offense will be taken.

Sad news. Hinman glacier is visible from many trails and summits in the central cascades. Of course, in most years the basin where the glacier once resided will still be filled by a substantial snowfield that will still be visible, and may, in good years, persist until snow flies, so many folks won’t know the difference. But just knowing that the glacier under that snow is now gone will forever hurt my soul. Minor correction to @Porter2, it drains to the S Fork Sky, via the Foss river.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm sorry to hear that Skip. I appreciate you and your posts. You can address your comments towards me and then maybe no offense will be taken.
I was leaning on humor as i heard a whimper from someone on this thread that had the scent of well heeled denier schtick. Ala : world global warming every 12,000 years schtick…. Echoes of Vladimir Veliskovsky the poor bastich…

troutstalker

Forum Supporter
I was leaning on humor as i heard a whimper from someone on this thread that had the scent of well heeled denier schtick. Ala : world global warming every 12,000 years schtick…. Echoes of Vladimir Veliskovsky the poor bastich…

Lol...ok, sorry for my misinterpretation. 😁

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
The loss of Hinman glacier is a big ass deal. I can feel-intuit- imagine (pick one)some out there making light of it. 45 years ago in every lecture hall sized science class we talked about this sort of thing, a human caused pollution culture stretching back to the beginnings of the industrial revolution

troutstalker

Forum Supporter
Sad news. Hinman glacier is visible from many trails and summits in the central cascades. Of course, in most years the basin where the glacier once resided will still be filled by a substantial snowfield that will still be visible, and may, in good years, persist until snow flies, so many folks won’t know the difference. But just knowing that the glacier under that snow is now gone will forever hurt my soul. Minor correction to @Porter2, it drains to the S Fork Sky, via the Foss river.

It really hurts when it hits so close to home. Mt. Rainier is a special place to me.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Oops, Sorry. My bad. I had North Cascades on my mind or something in error in my noggin when I typed that.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
That’s been some very reliable super cold water for the basin—a thermal refuge for cold water species like bull trout which need and have been utilizing that ultra cold glacial water; cold even during the hottest of hot spells, when other waters at similar elevation are much warmer. I know because I’ve been checking.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The flows off Hinman was where I developed my love for little moving waters in high school and college. Glorious lakes and clean cold moving water, what a beautiful area. Just a shame. Last time through Darington I couldn't believe how different Whitehorse looked from when we were kids.

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I've fished lakes and streams on both flanks of the Hinman - Daniel massif a few times. My gosh what tremendous views we had from La Bohn Gap! It is :cry: was a magical place that got me started with climbing in 1973 for almost 20 years following my first visit. The Hinman Glacier itself is was :cry: over one ridge from the luscious Necklace Valley, and two+ ridges from the Foss Lakes; the heart of the NE ALW. But the Hinman and Lynch Glaciers feed :cry: fed the beautiful E Fork Foss which will affect Skykomish late summer - fall flows.