Hawaiian bonefish flies

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
Mantis shrimp patterns, tan and brown, little to no flash. @mems should be along soon with local info.

Kinigit

Smolt
I think I have read some information about them being spooky. I would tie some smaller 8s and some very lightly weighted flies in case they are proving challenging.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
For my last trip I tied up a bunch of Spam and Eggs. After looking at all the patterns it seemed the easiest and most straight forward tie that gives a cool Mantis shrimp look. To be fair though, I caught a grand total of zero bonefish, but I don't think that was the fault of the fly. :)

Kado

Steelhead
For my last trip I tied up a bunch of Spam and Eggs. After looking at all the patterns it seemed the easiest and most straight forward tie that gives a cool Mantis shrimp look. To be fair though, I caught a grand total of zero bonefish, but I don't think that was the fault of the fly. :)
Did you get a shot at any?

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter

mems

Steelhead
No if you pinch the barb then they will pop off when they run back. They have thick lips an usually take the fly there. They have crushers in the back and don’t get gut hooked. In Hawaii we don’t have many sharks like Bahamas and Christmas Island so they should be able to revive without getting moped up.

Kado

Steelhead
IMG_2101.jpgWell...tied up a number of shrimp and crab flies on #4 and #6 hooks. A couple clousers just because...and threw in a few flies I've had luck with when fishing the surf for papio (?) with my 6wt on Maui. I tied a few with weed guards. I remember snagging on the coral quite a bit....not sure if it really helps though.
I'll bring my 6 and 8 fly rods and one light gear rod. I love fishing off the rocks or whipping the surf.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
What hooks do you guys like to tie on for Hawaiian bonefish? Need to get my shit together; I’m headed to Oahu on May 10