Guided float recommendation?

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So, my wife wants to rent a cabin for few days in January before returning to work in February, one last good time before returning to work after a year long "vacation".
Does anyone have a recommended river and guide sevice in Oregon/SW Washington for trout fishing that time of year? Maybe somewhere in a 3-4 hour radius of portland? Where I decide to book a trip and fish will greatly influence the cabin selection process... ;)

I've been considering the Mckenzie or Deschutes, but not sure how they fish in January. Maybe the Yakima? I'm pretty new to the trout fly fishing scene around here.
Let me know if you have any recommendations or input on fishing that time of year, maybe its not worth it? Thanks!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
So, my wife wants to rent a cabin for few days in January before returning to work in February, one last good time before returning to work after a year long "vacation".
Does anyone have a recommended river and guide sevice in Oregon/SW Washington for trout fishing that time of year? Maybe somewhere in a 3-4 hour radius of portland? Where I decide to book a trip and fish will greatly influence the cabin selection process... ;)

I've been considering the Mckenzie or Deschutes, but not sure how they fish in January. Maybe the Yakima? I'm pretty new to the trout fly fishing scene around here.
Let me know if you have any recommendations or input on fishing that time of year, maybe its not worth it? Thanks!

No trout stream is going to be lights out in January like they can be in Summer. But if you know where to look and how to fish the winter, the D can be extremely productive. In fact, I fish the D 2x more in the winter than I do the Summer (for a myriad of reasons). If you know what conditions to look for, and where, you can even run into a good BWO hatches in January.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I love the Deschutes in winter. Going over there from the wet side, the weather is normally better, and I love taking a deep drag of the sagey air over there. Can normally catch a few fish, although it is much slower in the colder season. I have only done one guide trip in my life, but I arranged it through Deschutes angler, and fished with Nick, who took good care of us.

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If you know what conditions to look for, and where, you can even run into a good BWO hatches in January.
Good tip, wouldn't have suspected a hatch at that time.
That sentence sums up why I need a guide... ;) otherwise I'll just be tossing whatever nymph willy nilly.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Good tip, wouldn't have suspected a hatch at that time.
That sentence sums up why I need a guide... ;) otherwise I'll just be tossing whatever nymph willy nilly.

To be fair, other then if BWOs come off, I’m 100% just tossing eggs all Willy nilly.

My mentality would be, plan for eggs, be surprised by a hatch, don’t expect it.

Call the Caddis fly shop in Eugene they are the local guides and know there Rivers well the Bwo hatch will be from 11 to 2 if they come off that day you never know

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Try Rocky Ford Spring Creek by Ephrata Wa. Guide services through the Desert Angler Fly Shop. You could find BWO’s and maybe Callabaetis dries. I’d pick a spring creek every time in winter. It’s not a float but maybe it’s the best option. Watch out for the Pelicans and anyone named Friendly Phil.

Last edited:

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Pelicans as in birds, literally? Or is this a euphemism? I've seen the expression tossed around in other threads as well...
The place is usually full of pelicans hunting the hatchery fish. But there was a double meaning. One of my fishing partners who is sometimes there is nicknamed “ the Pelican”.

CCF4A83B-65EE-4673-BD23-E72CE54034A0.jpeg

wetline dave

Steelhead
You might consider the Cowlitz for some steelhead , though they most likely will be hatchery fish. But that is not all bad!

Dave

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I would look at the lower Deschutes. There are some rentals/hotels in and around Maupin. It can be cold, but you can get weather in the 50's. Fishing can also be good. The pressure is very light in the winter out there. Being out there with no other anglers around, sunny and 50 degrees is a pretty nice change of pace from gloomy weather and crowded steelhead rivers. Deschutes Angler might be able to do a winter trout day trip, and a couple of former guides for them (Ben and Evan) are now doing trips on their own. You don't really need a guide to catch some fish, but hiring a guide gets you to good spots, and shortens the learning curve, so instead of catching a few fish after you figure everything out that day, you could catch double digits. Plus you usually get a decent shore lunch!

There is also a portion of the middle Deschutes that is open near Bend, and the Metolius (the stretch that is open), so you also could stay around Bend or Sisters and fish there. There would be more people around, though.

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
I would look at the lower Deschutes. There are some rentals/hotels in and around Maupin. It can be cold, but you can get weather in the 50's. Fishing can also be good. The pressure is very light in the winter out there. Being out there with no other anglers around, sunny and 50 degrees is a pretty nice change of pace from gloomy weather and crowded steelhead rivers. Deschutes Angler might be able to do a winter trout day trip, and a couple of former guides for them (Ben and Evan) are now doing trips on their own. You don't really need a guide to catch some fish, but hiring a guide gets you to good spots, and shortens the learning curve, so instead of catching a few fish after you figure everything out that day, you could catch double digits. Plus you usually get a decent shore lunch!

There is also a portion of the middle Deschutes that is open near Bend, and the Metolius (the stretch that is open), so you also could stay around Bend or Sisters and fish there. There would be more people around, though.
I thought Ben was guiding in Alaska ?