Grizzled hackle

tkww

Steelhead
I'm contemplating a new cape for some fall tying. I have options for barred/grizzled and not. I like the look and the idea, but honestly I've never experimented enough to say that I have any notions about hackle being a factor in refusals or effectiveness. Does anybody have an opinion about whether grizzled hackle is more effective?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I use both. I do like how the barred looks on flies, but probably more of an eye catcher for the tier then the fish.
SF

cutthroat1954

Freshly Spawned
Get a grizzly cape. Very useful. You didn’t say what kind of flies you are tying? Eg. An Adams dry fly takes a mixture of quality grizzly and brown.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Grizzly and dyed grizzly.

tkww

Steelhead
Get a grizzly cape. Very useful. You didn’t say what kind of flies you are tying? Eg. An Adams dry fly takes a mixture of quality grizzly and brown.
I should have been clearer in my original post. In this case I'm looking at ginger one for October Caddis, as my existing one has been pretty much cleaned out in the larger sizes. (And wasn't really a great one to begin with.) So it'll probably also see some use on attractors, maybe some EHC, etc. But my question stemmed from having the option of barred ginger of plain ginger. And I'm realizing now I probably should have used "barred" instead of "grizzled."