Grip build question

Kado

Steelhead
I'm about ready to build out a Burkie 4114 blank, hopefully for some Montana fishing, maybe even some summer runs. Anyway, I'm playing with the idea of making the bottom grip out of a combo of wood and cork rings. I'm thinking the small amount of extra weight might even help balance the rod but I'm a little concerned how varnishing over the mixture of cork and wood would hold up.
Any input is appreciated as I'm just about ready to glue up the grips.
Thanks,
Mark

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I'm about ready to build out a Burkie 4114 blank, hopefully for some Montana fishing, maybe even some summer runs. Anyway, I'm playing with the idea of making the bottom grip out of a combo of wood and cork rings. I'm thinking the small amount of extra weight might even help balance the rod but I'm a little concerned how varnishing over the mixture of cork and wood would hold up.
Any input is appreciated as I'm just about ready to glue up the grips.
Thanks,
Mark
Call Bob Meiser. Bob is a super nice guy, and incorporates a lot of different materials in his grips.
(541) 770-4766

Kado

Steelhead
I'm wondering if it's bad form to ask considering I'm not using one of his blanks, although I do really like the esthetics of his grips.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Forum Supporter
I'm wondering if it's bad form to ask considering I'm not using one of his blanks, although I do really like the esthetics of his grips.
Not at all. He's truly a nice guy and willing to help. I can almost guarantee after you talk to him, your next rod will be a Meiser.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Forum Supporter
Also, I have the 4114, and it is my all around trout Spey, but IMHO it is not enough rod for a steelhead.

Divad

Whitefish
Varnished cork has a feel to it, maybe coat a ring first to try the texture? Unless you’ve already felt one. The rubber composite rings add weight too.

Kado

Steelhead
I decided to just make the grip with the mixture of cork, wood, and I usually use a rubberized butt cap to help protect the end of the rod as I'm usually setting it in mud....
I'll varnish it before I mount it and see how it feels.
Thanks for help gentlemen.
Mark

Kado

Steelhead
It was a pic of your grip that made me want to give it a try. Beautifully done. I'm going to try mixing several woods along with cork. We'll see. I'm going to try using a birch bark hole cutter on some 1/8 inch hardwood veneers.....

Jim Allen

Steelhead
I am a fan of using an oil-based finish. I do like the idea of adding wood to the grip as the density of the wood communicates the vibrations of the rod to your hand far better than cork. Just my 2 cents worth.