Grill Recommendations

Nothing can compare to the flavor of true wood fired (I use white oak) BBQ, not to mention the superior bark. Here is one of the two briskets I did on my Oklahoma Joe a few weeks ago. I recommend the book, Franklin Barbeque, A Meat Smoking Manifesto, $16 on Amazon. Regardless, I will use my pellet grill often just because of the convenience. 1691357503365.jpeg

I cooked 6 large pork shoulders with white oak on the Oklahoma Joe for my daughter's wedding. One of the DJ's was from Kansas City and said she was a pulled pork fanatic. Said she had tried pulled pork at every place she could find around Kansas City and said mine was better than any of them. I a stunningly handsome man but I do not believe she was trying to pick me up.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I’ve never not had a grill. However, the more I get into cooking, the more I feel like it’s not a very good way to cook pretty much anything. I think the only time I will actually use it, now, is for entertaining; cooking a large amount of burgers, sausages, etc.

I just got the Ninja outdoor oven and it is much better, for a lot of the things that I was using my grill for. The grill has been pretty much relegated to grilling only. I bought a few accessories that would supposedly allow me to use the grill for other stuff, like a griddle plate, rectangular pan for deep frying, paella pan for stir fry, etc. However, the grill doesn’t get hot enough for any of those to perform well.

I’m considering getting rid of my grill entirely and just buying a propane stove. It would be far more useful, day to day. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve never not had a grill. However, the more I get into cooking, the more I feel like it’s not a very good way to cook pretty much anything. I think the only time I will actually use it, now, is for entertaining; cooking a large amount of burgers, sausages, etc.

I just got the Ninja outdoor oven and it is much better, for a lot of the things that I was using my grill for. The grill has been pretty much relegated to grilling only. I bought a few accessories that would supposedly allow me to use the grill for other stuff, like a griddle plate, rectangular pan for deep frying, paella pan for stir fry, etc. However, the grill doesn’t get hot enough for any of those to perform well.

I’m considering getting rid of my grill entirely and just buying a propane stove. It would be far more useful, day to day. Thoughts?
My grill (Weber Genesis gas three burner) is good for grilling. I do not use it for anything else. But I do grill at least a couple times a week. I would not get rid of it.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter

I really enjoy grilling and use my grill several times a week as well. Don't get rid of it. What would all of your friends think if you did...

RCF

Life of the Party
My grill (Weber Genesis gas three burner) is good for grilling. I do not use it for anything else. But I do grill at least a couple times a week. I would not get rid of it.
Agreed. Have had mine for over 17 years.

But you can use it in a pinch for other things (like power outages) e.g. baked meatloaf, made coffee/tea, cooked eggs.

JayB

Steelhead
Just throwing this out there as an FYI - if you search/shop/wait sometimes you can find used high-end natural-gas grills on sale at a pretty significant discount to propane versions since so few people have gas hookups - then quite easily convert them back to propane. All you have to do is swap out the natural gas hose for a standard propane-hose equipped regulator, and swap the orifices that feed the burners out. Takes about ~15 minutes and lots of kits/tutorials online.

Reactions: RCF

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I really enjoy grilling and use my grill several times a week as well. Don't get rid of it. What would all of your friends think if you did...

At this point, the only thing really holding me back is the thought of being Australian and not having a grill. What am I going to do, invite mates over and stand around my oven?

It’s all pointless, though. I don’t have mates, anymore; I have a collection of indoor humans that make high pitched noises when exposed to the outside.

Last edited: