Granger Victory?

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
None of my old english reel feet will fit it. I do have a Heddon Imperial that will bolt right on tho...
View attachment 57776
I have to put in my 15A in at an angle. It’s a close fit but it works.
Worth noting that I use this reel on both the newer Wright & McGill Victory as well as the earlier Granger version with the extra tipping on the wraps like yours.
That Heddon reel you have would make for a great combo though!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I have to put in my 15A in at an angle. It’s a close fit but it works.
Worth noting that I use this reel on both the newer Wright & McGill Victory as well as the earlier Granger version with the extra tipping on the wraps like yours.
That Heddon reel you have would make for a great combo though!
I tried the angle thing and couldn't get it to go. It's okay, I can fashion a reel foot for it pretty quick.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Tell me more! What do I use?
I'm certainly not an expert so take this advice with a grain of salt...I've used automotive cleaner polish on a damp paper towel. Two or three applications, then soft cloth. I get dried polish around the base of the guides which takes extra work to remove.

Salter Lee

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Great looking 8642. I've had a few and love them with a DT5 loaded on a Hardy Princess. I had experimented in the past with a heavier reel to fully balance to the cork, but found it kind of dampened the action too much. A little bit above the cork and it's a wonderful lively 5wt. Enjoy!! Great score.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
If its like the old "rescued and refinished" silk like I have, it will cast unlike anything you've known. Almost effortless how easily it zings through the air and shoots through the guides. I've only lawn cast my rescued line so I can't speak to how it fishes, but its quite a surprise how easy it is to send out on your bamboo rod.

Cliff

Steelhead
If its like the old "rescued and refinished" silk like I have, it will cast unlike anything you've known. Almost effortless how easily it zings through the air and shoots through the guides. I've only lawn cast my rescued line so I can't speak to how it fishes, but its quite a surprise how easy it is to send out on your bamboo rod.
This is my fourth silk line, and I've been a convert for a long time. My go-to silk line the past few years is a Cadno 5wt DT, and I'm hoping this 6wt line casts similarly. Its all the things you've mentioned, but my favorite quality of silk is how easily it picks up off the water at the end of a drift, almost like the rod and line did it all on their own.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
So here is a blow by blow account of changing the reel foot. Years ago I got several of these feet from either Ebay or One-Pfoot, I don't remember which. I know One-Pfoot was supplying these for the after war Young 'ex' reels. Lucky for us the screw centers are the same pre-war and apres-war.

IMG_20230317_082435301.jpg

To remove the old foot it is imperative that you find a screw driver that fits the screw tightly. If you don't you'll bugger it up. These screws are standard right hand thread - so lefty loosy.

When you get it off you'll notice that the base of the old foot is a radius and the new one is not. This is the difference between the old and new mounting.
IMG_20230317_082708770.jpg

With a half round file carefully put a radius on the new foot. When it fits, touch it up with some fine sandpaper.
IMG_20230317_083558311.jpg

Using the old screws, mount the foot.
IMG_20230317_083932673.jpg

IMG_20230317_084714141.jpgIMG_20230317_084730996.jpg

Now for some polishing...