Granger Victory?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I inherited one of these awhile back. Looks like a refinish but is in great shape. Anyone know what weight line it needs?

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Since the reel seat says "Goodwin Granger" it was made before the company was sold. There are some folks who think the 8-1/2' 4-1/2oz Goodwin Granger taper is somewhat lighter and slower casting than the Victory rods made later under the ownership of Wright & McGill. I used to own one of the Victory 8-1/2' rods made the first year for that model as it had the slide band reel seat with the "coke bottle" cork grip which they changed to a twist/screw uplocking seat and standard Granger cork grip soon after. Regardless of which era, they are great casting rods. And some folks complain about the one fewer snake guide vs their other pricier models but don't listen, it still casts like a dream. Enjoy it!

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
It’s a 5wt. Use a 5 wt DT and enjoy it.

The Granger 8642 (in all grades they made it in, including the “Victory” grade like yours) is my favorite go to bamboo rod. It does everything well.

Put one of your Young reels (a 15A is perfect) on it and enjoy.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
It looks a lot like the rod in the picture above. Same color same wraps, and same lettering. The reel seat is up locking and adjusted by turning the knurled end.
Put one of your Young reels (a 15A is perfect) on it and enjoy.
I will absolutely do that! Unfortunately the foot is a smidgen too long. I have several parts reels though and can sacrifice a foot from one of them or use one of the extra 'ex" feet I have by filing a radius in it to fit the 15A body. Although I do have a few bejeweled Russells staring at me from the shelf...

I'm packing up today to head for Lenice tomorrow so I won't have time to take photos. I promise to get back to this thread after my return and put up photos with a reel attached. I have plenty of 5-6wt lines spooled up to try but I probably don't have a DT. Do you think a WF-6wt will work? Or should I stick with a WF-5wt?

Since the reel seat says "Goodwin Granger" it was made before the company was sold. There are some folks who think the 8-1/2' 4-1/2oz Goodwin Granger taper is somewhat lighter and slower casting than the Victory rods made later under the ownership of Wright & McGill. I used to own one of the Victory 8-1/2' rods made the first year for that model as it had the slide band reel seat with the "coke bottle" cork grip which they changed to a twist/screw uplocking seat and standard Granger cork grip soon after. Regardless of which era, they are great casting rods. And some folks complain about the one fewer snake guide vs their other pricier models but don't listen, it still casts like a dream. Enjoy it!

So if I read correctly online this is a pre-WWII rod? I did put it together and gave it a wiggle. It came with what I believe is the original tube. A cardboard thing with metal end caps. It still has 75-80% of the black coating and as I mentioned above the original label has come off but was inside the tube. I also think it may have the original rod sock.

I will have this rod ready for my next outing!

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My understanding is that Goodwin Granger Rod Company stopped making rods during WWII and then was purchased by Wright & McGill after WWII so your first version of their Victory would have been pre-WWII. The W&M 8642 Victory rods tend to run closer to a six weight IMO while the GG 8642 Victories are a perfect five weight. Both versions cast really well but the Goodwin Granger version is a tad more delicate, a joy for casting smaller dries during an evening hatch (unless its windy). The W&M version also lost those beautiful black trim wraps that to me make the rod one of the best looking ever made. You have a very good rod there.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
You inherited a great rod.
Second what Cliff and Greg Armstrong say. The 8'6" Granger Victory 8642 is one my favorite and most fished rods. I remember a montana trip where it did everything - soft hackles on the Clarks Fork, upstream dries on a pocket water tributary, small pheasant tail nymphs sight fishing for big rainbows on a spring pond. I fish my 8642 with 406 WF 5 and DT 5 lines. I use the WF 5 line on lakes and the DT 5 line on rivers. The rod also casts a Cortland camo intermediate 5 or 6 weight line.

I purchased my 8642 Granger Victory from Scott Whitman who's probably restored more Grangers than anyone I know. He said he likes a 4 weight line double taper with his Granger 8642. Here's Scott rummaging through his Grangers to find mine.

271FDF5F-1FE0-46E1-BE6E-424DCB0C0054_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Dave, I love that photo of Scott Whitman from your visit to him in CO but I just noticed something about it that makes it even better to me. I split my love of classic gear between fly fishing and acoustic guitars and I just noticed Scott's shirt - Taylor Guitars. I knew Scott was the best bamboo rod restorer around, now I know he is into fine guitars too. I believe I recall seeing a thread once on Classic Rod Forum that mentioned how common it is for bamboo rod fans to also be fans of acoustic guitars. I don't know if its the similarities both have in fine craftsmanship combining art with function, or if its just a couple of syndromes we old guys are prone to fall into, but there seems to be a lot of overlap in the two passions. Glad to see Scott is a fan of both too.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
I believe I recall seeing a thread once on Classic Rod Forum that mentioned how common it is for bamboo rod fans to also be fans of acoustic guitars. I don't know if its the similarities both have in fine craftsmanship combining art with function, or if its just a couple of syndromes we old guys are prone to fall into, but there seems to be a lot of overlap in the two passions. Glad to see Scott is a fan of both too.
You, Scott Whitman and Oliva Elia...three bamboo/acoustic guitar aficionados.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You, Scott Whitman and Oliva Elia...three bamboo/acoustic guitar aficionados.
Yes, if I somehow won a raffle and the prize was either one of Olivia's bamboo rods or guitars, I'd take the guitar. It would be like having one of Hiram Leonard's famous apprentices (Payne, Hawes, FE Thomas, EW Edwards) make a bamboo rod for me back in the 1910's. That's the quality level and size of Preston Thompson Guitars where she is learning her luthier skills at.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I knew Eric Clapton and I had something in common, and it sure ain't guitar playing ability!
Clapton had Niemiera fly rods build him a bamboo rod that was called "Slow Hand". I don't know if it was a single rod made just for Eric, or if it was to be a production model, but I can't seem to find Niemiera rods anywhere on the web any longer.

Back on topic, to the OP... have you had a chance to give the Granger a go on Lenice yet?

BTW I double checked the fit of the Young 15A with its original foot on my Goodwin Granger 8642 Victory and it fits fine. I had to unscrew the reel seat as far out as it would go so it was a little bit of a close fit getting it in, but it worked. You might give yours another try.

A76D1734-5CE3-4B61-BEE7-DF2C19328565.jpeg

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
None of my old english reel feet will fit it. I do have a Heddon Imperial that will bolt right on tho...
IMG_20230314_061304416.jpg

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
So here is the rod. sorry for the subpar photos but these were taken at night in the living room.
After examining the rod I'm pretty sure it's been re-varnished. There are a few smudges and a run or two.
IMG_20230314_061050675.jpgIMG_20230314_061057975.jpgIMG_20230314_061102838.jpgIMG_20230314_061117536.jpg

So I think I'm going to make a reel foot for the 15A to put on the rod. I'll have it ready for Dry Falls.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Looks good! I would suggest a non-destructive polishing if you'd like it to look a little newer and brighter. I loved the way my old bamboo rods looked after polishing, including the metal seat on those Grangers...it'll really shine. Not preferable for the fish, but great for the fisherman.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Looks good! I would suggest a non-destructive polishing if you'd like it to look a little newer and brighter. I loved the way my old bamboo rods looked after polishing, including the metal seat on those Grangers...it'll really shine. Not preferable for the fish, but great for the fisherman.
Tell me more! What do I use?