NFR Got any mammal pictures

Non-fishing related

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This image is an oldie but a goodie for me. While out of focus - in some ways it's just as I remember it - a blur. I was out checking water at Butte Valley Wildlife Area in the Klamath Basin many years ago and was watching a wad of mallards dry feeding in a grain field. The coyote came out of nowhere. I wished it was more in focus but am kinda glad that it's not.

waterfowl1122015 045edited.jpg

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
This image is an oldie but a goodie for me. While out of focus - in some ways it's just as I remember it - a blur. I was out checking water at Butte Valley Wildlife Area in the Klamath Basin many years ago and was watching a wad of mallards dry feeding in a grain field. The coyote came out of nowhere. I wished it was more in focus but am kinda glad that it's not.

View attachment 99620
Great shot.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Amazing shot. As dynamic as a still image will ever get, I don't think you could've done better even if you tried. Two thumbs way up!

Thanks much for sharing,
Kenneth
Thanks - I was shooting my old Canon 20D with a Canon 100-400 lens out my truck window and wanted a shot of the mallards in the grain field. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I've been wondering why this run has been fishing poorly. Three asshat otters were in there fishing, and low holeing them proved fruitless. They didn't like me and bitched and made all kinds of noise.
20240206_aholeotters.jpg

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
It is better to be lucky than good some times. Part of success in capturing amazing photographs of the natural world is visiting promising places and then being alert to subtle cues and indications. This encounter during my latest visit to Nisqually NWR on Valentine’s Day was total serendipity. I had just passed a small beaver dam in one of the canals adjacent to the north E-W boardwalk of the Twin Barn’s Loop Trail. I glanced behind me and noticed a movement in the grass where the beaver dam meets the far bank. A brown head peaked out, a mink with a rich, brown fur coat. As it proceeded to cross the channel via the dam, I pulled up my camera and snapped a series of shots, a few of which were even in focus.
A01Mink0881.jpg
A02Mink0884.jpg
A03Mink0887.jpg
It puttered around at the water’s edge below us on the boardwalk and then disappeared under the boardwalk. It popped back into view on the gravel road at the top of the dyke, hastened across the road, and the disappeared into the riparian forest along the Nisqually River. Very cool sight.
Steve

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Pretty mink! Incredible creatures. A couple years back our cows were acting up the way they do when they see a pesky cat or really, anything small that catches their attention in their pasture. They love to stare and then chase off creatures. I saw the commotion and went out to look. Surprisingly, a beautiful mink was bounding and cutting its way through the cows and heading my way. It hopped by within 10 feet of me and kept going while totally ignoring me fully. Thrilling to see one that close !

Nice shots, Steve !

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
I share the same headache. The revolution in our understanding of evolutionary relationships due to the application of molecular genetics has caused substantial upheaval in taxonomy. The common names of many marine vertebrates and invertebrates have been more stable than the scientific names LOL... [At the same time, I can't believe that the canopy-forming kelp Macrocystis pyrifera from Southern California is the same species as the strictly lower intertidal and nearshore subtotal kelp that has the same scientific name. The geneticists say that they are the same, but ecologically, they are not...]
Some of the changes with bird names (scientific and common) stem from new genetic insights (and the tension between "lumpers" and "splitters"). Other changes stem from a desire not to honor some of the prominent early ornithologists who were NOT good human beings in other aspects of their lives.
Steve
And now multiple species of orca are likely.
Interesting!

Jay

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Desert bighorn sheep. Some wildlife encounters can be predicted, but others are total serendipity (with a measure of good planning mixed in). When we arrived at the Anza Borego State Park Visitor Center in Borego Springs, we contemplated taking a popular 3-mile RT hike to a palm oasis. But the trail was already busy when we arrived [it was Easter week and there were lots of families.]. Following the footsteps of hundreds of other hikers isn’t a winning strategy for seeing wildlife, especially birds. So, we decided to bushwack across the mouth of the canyon to the eastern wall.
A00CanyonHillsideP3290610.jpg
We would cross several arroyos that emerge from the canyon. This strategy started to pay off as we began to encounter desert reptiles (side-blotched lizards) and birds (California quail and black-throated sparrows). In her peripheral vision, my wife spotted some birds flushing against the canyon wall. When she scoped the area with her binocs, she saw the source of the disturbance – a desert bighorn ram. We carefully, but quickly, walked across the broken boulder-strewn ground to a rise where we would have a better view of the ram. And that revealed that it wasn’t a lone ram (which would have been weird in retrospect), but a bachelor herd of nine rams. [4 in this picture.]
A01BighornsOnWallP3290612.jpg
Their coats were very light tan and they blended in well with the rocks on the canyon edge.
A07DesertBighornRams3202.jpg
[In many ungulates (including the deer that travel by my home office window), males travel together in bachelor herds, while the ewes and their offspring form their own groups. The groups only mingle during the breeding season.]
We stopped walking closer as soon as we saw the bighorn sheep notice us (elevated heads). We stopped 200-300 feet from the base of the canyon wall. Once they saw that we were not approaching any closer, they went back to browsing the spring vegetation, while we just watched them in awe.
A03DesertBighornRams3257.jpg
A04DesertBighornRams3253.jpg
A05DesertBighorns4Rams3196.jpg
The rams in the herd were a mix of ages as reflected in the degree of curling of their horns. Here is one of the top rams.
A06DesertBighornRam3250.jpg
This is a relative youngster.
A02DesertBighornRam3224.jpg
After observing them for a while (lots of pictures…), we continued down and across the wash. A very cool, unexpected encounter.
Steve