Got any bird pics?

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Kittlitz's murrelets and a TUPU amongst some other stuff from the last week.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
When I was a kid some cedar waxwings nested in a low tree right outside our side door. I vividly remember studying the amazing look of those beautiful birds.

Thanks for sharing all these excellent photos. It makes me think it would be fun to get back into photography. Had I had a better camera than my iPhone 6, I think I could’ve gotten some good shots of these oystercatchers. 0046B9C6-4EC8-460C-B47D-2A34A67CE828.jpeg

Very cropped:

7913FF50-3A6C-4507-B09A-751C0C975081.jpeg

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
sharp shinned or coopers, still a challenge for me.

this was from a few months back on a rainy afternoon.

View attachment 19955
These are two tough birds to separate. From what I have read, here are some comparisons that can help.
1. Size. Cooper's are abut the size of a crow while a sharp-shinned is about the size of a jay. But there is overlap between a large female sharp-shinned and a small male Cooper's. In this picture, we have no real guide to size.
2. Shape of the head. Cooper's tend to have a blocky head (often appearing a bit oversized) while a sharp-shinned has a more typical rounded head (often appearing slightly undersized). This picture shows a more rounded, smallish head.
3. Dark cap or not. Cooper's tend to have a lighter-colored nape (back of the neck) and the dark coloration does not extend below the eyes. It looks like they are wearing a dark cap. In a sharp-shinned hawk, the nape is darker and the dark coloration extends below the eyes. Without seeing a posterior view, I would give the edge to sharp-shinned.
4. Shape of the tail. In a Cooper's hawk, the tip of the tail is often rounded, while the tip of the tail of a sharp-shinned hawk is flat. Cooper's hawks also appear to have longer tails and a broader white tip. Assuming that the tail feathers here are not worn down, I would give the nod to sharp-shinned hawk.
Overall, I would call this a sharp-shinned hawk.
Steve

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
These are two tough birds to separate. From what I have read, here are some comparisons that can help.
1. Size. Cooper's are abut the size of a crow while a sharp-shinned is about the size of a jay. But there is overlap between a large female sharp-shinned and a small male Cooper's. In this picture, we have no real guide to size.
2. Shape of the head. Cooper's tend to have a blocky head (often appearing a bit oversized) while a sharp-shinned has a more typical rounded head (often appearing slightly undersized). This picture shows a more rounded, smallish head.
3. Dark cap or not. Cooper's tend to have a lighter-colored nape (back of the neck) and the dark coloration does not extend below the eyes. It looks like they are wearing a dark cap. In a sharp-shinned hawk, the nape is darker and the dark coloration extends below the eyes. Without seeing a posterior view, I would give the edge to sharp-shinned.
4. Shape of the tail. In a Cooper's hawk, the tip of the tail is often rounded, while the tip of the tail of a sharp-shinned hawk is flat. Cooper's hawks also appear to have longer tails and a broader white tip. Assuming that the tail feathers here are not worn down, I would give the nod to sharp-shinned hawk.
Overall, I would call this a sharp-shinned hawk.
Steve
I'll look for some more views in my images of this specific bird.
size was not definitive to me. A large coopers I recognize as such, but otherwise, this one was a toss up to me.
I have noticed the angle of the head can have a lot of effect on whether it looks flat topped or blocky.
I am really interested in this coloring question below the eyes and around to the back of the neck,
Tails again depends on views and how they have it spread out.

Thanks, I'll look some more at my photos of this one. I know I have photos of two other birds like this, one was large and had other convincing coopers features. Another is in my backyard, I have limited views of it, but hoped it was a sharp shinned at the time. I also remember now a fourth.

OK this could be a project.

I would love it if this one were a sharp shinned. Thanks

Jay

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
@Cabezon love the shots. Cool looking birds.

Fishing was slow today so I took some time to check out the birds.

Think this is an Eastern Kingbird

DSC_1323(1).jpg

Wasn't completely ready for this but saw an Osprey take a little trout.

DSC_1365.jpg

DSC_1393.jpg

DSC_1406(1).jpg

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
1656821438102.jpeg
Swimmy I am not sure, but this is for sure a juvie bald seen today. There were so many eagles out. So many that I have not seen one successful Osprey nest with chicks- normally there are three or four in the vicinity but I suspect the Eagles are wiping them out.

tkww

Steelhead
I’m leaning towards sharp shinned, but not confident in that.
I'd agree. Very little tail feather graduation, slight concentration of mass upwards, rounded head, and "bug-eyed" look. But with these birds it really is all about the angle that you see them out. W/o seeing the back of the neck it can sometimes really be a guess.

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I missed the bird, but something with wings dropped this herring with a mighty splat on my in laws’ cabin steps this evening when I spooked it walking the dog. 50DCB6C7-A6AC-443F-985C-0B0CA049B5D5.jpeg

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
View attachment 20994
Swimmy I am not sure, but this is for sure a juvie bald seen today. There were so many eagles out. So many that I have not seen one successful Osprey nest with chicks- normally there are three or four in the vicinity but I suspect the Eagles are wiping them out.
Amazing shot. Gives the bird a monumental look, like it could be of enormous size. J

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nothing as spectacular as many of the photos on this forum but a few days ago I walked out in my yard to check on my trailcam and found this guy sitting on top of the post that the camera is attached to.
IMG_20220708_082155205.jpg
IMG_20220708_082137362.jpg