Got any bird pics?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I remember in the early 2000's when the first Scrub jays showed up where I lived in Olympia. Took another 6-7 years until they moved out here in the coastal areas 40+ miles away. They will dominate the Steller's, but not so bad as to fully run them off but they will run things and it will be loud.

@adamcu280 @riseform if I may ask, what long lenses are you shooting with the OM1? Just curious.

Ospreys are still giving free rides to Largescale suckers here. I never see them with a trout or jack salmon here on this coastal river. Maybe once?
View attachment 32963

News at 11:00…..Osprey takes out Mr. Bill. ;)
Great shots!
SF

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
The main L-shaped pond at the Billy Franks Nisqually Wildlife Refuge often has heavy midge hatches.
B01PondAtNisquallyRefuge6255.jpg
This attracts a variety of insectivorous birds that gleam the bugs from the riparian vegetation. These include:
black-capped chickadees
B02BlackCappedChickadee4745.jpg
common yellowthroat warbler (female)
B03CommonYellowthroatFemale4749.jpg
scruffy common yellowthroat warbler (probably a juvenile male molting into adult plumage)
B04ScruffyCommonYellowthroatWarbler4705.jpg
yellow warbler (female)
B05YellowWarblerFemale4758.jpg
warbling vireo
B06WarblingVirioInRussianOliveTree4710.jpg
and willow flycatcher.
B07WillowFlycatcher4789.jpg
And Pacific tree frogs climb out from the wet banks to seek their share of this bounty.
B09PacificTreeFrog8220026.jpg
Steve

Attachments

• B09PacificTreeFrog8220026.jpg
    B09PacificTreeFrog8220026.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 0

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'm beginning to really notice the photo quality between my phone and other new ones. I talked myself out of a camera, but is a new phone worth it for a new camera. Hummmm.... I snapped this little heron on a couple X zoom, it was gobbling up small fish as I got some bluegill. Anything above 2 just looses so much quality.
20220924_bird.jpg

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Had a close encounter with a Bald eagle few days back in amazing strong western late sun. It actually started with a seal tearing apart a Chinook salmon. A boat came by and the seal took off. The eagle watched from the perch tree we both hang out at and made the move to get a tail chunk and then proceed to eat it flying size before departing. Bird was 90 feet away by lens focusing measurement.

bottom one for @Wadin' Boot for our love of batshit crazy looking birds. Not the favored immature bird. Still, crazy is crazy.

Last edited:

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
It's always amazing to me when say the crows are going nuts and crowds are walking around Green Lake on a busy day and virtually no one seems to look for what the crows are angry at. Most times the outing shows the rarer predator....

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
It's always amazing to me when say the crows are going nuts and crowds are walking around Green Lake on a busy day and virtually no one seems to look for what the crows are angry at. Most times the outing shows the rarer predator....
Last winter here on the coast when I would see dark eagles from a pretty good distance one thing that helped me distinguish if it was "just" another immature bald eagle or the coveted golden eagle was that ravens loudly mauled the golden whenever they had the chance. If I saw a huge dark bird being harrassed by 2-3 big dark birds I paid full attention and it always ended up being the golden.
I seem to never have bald eagles getting much attention from ravens or crows here. Great point @Wadin' Boot.

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Last winter here on the coast when I would see dark eagles from a pretty good distance one thing that helped me distinguish if it was "just" another immature bald eagle or the coveted golden eagle was that ravens loudly mauled the golden whenever they had the chance. If I saw a huge dark bird being harrassed by 2-3 big dark birds I paid full attention and it always ended up being the golden.
I seem to never have bald eagles getting much attention from ravens or crows here. Great point @Wadin' Boot.
View attachment 34343View attachment 34344View attachment 34348

It always amazes and fascinates me that crows do this and eagles tolerate it - you would think an eagle could destroy a crow with one good slash of those talons.

cheers

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Glad you guys are getting close views of those cool Pileated woodpeckers. Out here coastal they are pretty shy birds. Thanks for posting the photos of them.
There are two birds when I think of dinosaur lineage that are first and foremost on my mind. Pileated woodpeckers and Sandhill cranes. Have been getting sandhills coming through the past 2 weeks or so. It is not good viewing until they cut the corn and the birds actually land..so stuck with fuzzy crops for now.

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party