Got any bird pics?

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
No pics, but I had two interesting bird sighting in the past two days.
Last night I spotted two Eastern Kingbirds on the wires in front of my house. It was late in the evening and the light was terrible for photography. I did look at them through the binoc's, and am pretty sure of the ID. Unusual bird in this area.
This morning I saw a large bird alight in the top of a cedar tree behind my house. (Near Fairmont Ravine) 'Grabbed the binoc's again and confirmed it was a Pileated Woodpecker. That's about the second time I've seen one in West Seattle in 30+ years.

Bajema

Life of the Party
No pics, but I had two interesting bird sighting in the past two days.
Last night I spotted two Eastern Kingbirds on the wires in front of my house. It was late in the evening and the light was terrible for photography. I did look at them through the binoc's, and am pretty sure of the ID. Unusual bird in this area.
This morning I saw a large bird alight in the top of a cedar tree behind my house. (Near Fairmont Ravine) 'Grabbed the binoc's again and confirmed it was a Pileated Woodpecker. That's about the second time I've seen one in West Seattle in 30+ years.
What a great pair of sitings!

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There are some gulls and kittiwakes hidden amongst the humpbacks and brown bears, and then horned puffins, tufted puffins, and ancient murrelets towards the end. The bird of the trip was probably a fork-tailed storm petrel deep in Johnstone Strait.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks, but I have to admit since switching to mirrorless (I went with the OM-1) it feels like I'm cheating. With my DSLR I had to work really hard for what I considered a quality BIF photo. The flicker photo is still a bit soft (should have used a faster shutter speed) but the current "computer attached to a lens" mirrorless cameras with tracking and bird eye focus are downright scary.
I stand by what I said about the previous version of the Olympus whatever I tried in May but a month ago I went all in on the OM-1 system and after getting used to it... holy crap this thing is amazing!

My trusty D500 + 200-500 f/5.6 setup was only used on the first day of my last trip. My keeper rate with the OM-1 went waaaay up and the weight savings were significant.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Californians keep moving up. I just saw the first California scrub jay I've seen in my yard at the feeder out the window. It was more adept than the Steller's Jays at landing and holding on to the feeder without sending it swinging crazily.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
There are some gulls and kittiwakes hidden amongst the humpbacks and brown bears, and then horned puffins, tufted puffins, and ancient murrelets towards the end. The bird of the trip was probably a fork-tailed storm petrel deep in Johnstone Strait.

So cool, those humpbacks chomping is fantastic....

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Californians keep moving up. I just saw the first California scrub jay I've seen in my yard at the feeder out the window. It was more adept than the Steller's Jays at landing and holding on to the feeder without sending it swinging crazily.
I remember in the early 2000's when the first Scrub jays showed up where I lived in Olympia. Took another 6-7 years until they moved out here in the coastal areas 40+ miles away. They will dominate the Steller's, but not so bad as to fully run them off but they will run things and it will be loud.

@adamcu280 @riseform if I may ask, what long lenses are you shooting with the OM1? Just curious.

Ospreys are still giving free rides to Largescale suckers here. I never see them with a trout or jack salmon here on this coastal river. Maybe once?

Last edited:

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
@adamcu280 if I may ask, what long lenses are you shooting with the OM1? Just curious.
I've got the 7-14 f/2.8 which I haven't even used once, the 12-100 f/4 which is my walkaround, the 40-100 f/2.8 which is also great (1, 4; both with TC), but most of the shots in my IG post above (3, 5, 8, 9, 10) were with the 300 f/4 + 1.4TC. I never thought in a million years I'd be shooting 840mm equivalent at 1/800 second with a teleconverter and getting shots like this.

Next time I'm feeling flush with cash (day after never?) I'd love to own the OM 150-400 lens. That thing looks to be super awesome for wildlife!

2, 6, 7 were with the Nikon D500 and 200-500 f/5.6.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
I've got the 7-14 f/2.8 which I haven't even used once, the 12-100 f/4 which is my walkaround, the 40-100 f/2.8 which is also great (1, 4; both with TC), but most of the shots in my IG post above (3, 5, 8, 9, 10) were with the 300 f/4 + 1.4TC. I never thought in a million years I'd be shooting 840mm equivalent at 1/800 second with a teleconverter and getting shots like this.

Next time I'm feeling flush with cash (day after never?) I'd love to own the OM 150-400 lens. That thing looks to be super awesome for wildlife!

2, 6, 7 were with the Nikon D500 and 200-500 f/5.6.
Super! I hear the smaller f-stop lens combinations and an AF mirrorless camera are a marriage made in heaven. Great work, thanks for the information.

Bajema

Life of the Party
This is my last week before I have to go off to work, so the bird pictures will start slowing down. But it’s not time for that yet. I went to a couple beaches this morning. At the first I found some horned larks on the path, which was cool as I’d seen some a week or so ago up in the mountains.
0CF68177-0F0F-4CFE-B6E2-7DF8C83EEA10.jpeg

The next beach had a flock of several hundred black-bellies plovers. Amongst them were some marbled godwits and (because I’d seen reports from the last few days) I knew to look for a red knot in the plover flock. I searched for about an hour looking but I finally found it! A lifer for me!

24D45A11-2CD0-46CD-AF03-4159FBC942EC.jpegD8DD02E6-DDE2-4089-A98E-403C67E674E7.jpeg