Go-to Trout Lake Patterns

RCF

Life of the Party
For me, my go-to fly is the Carey Special in peacock. I would say I have fished it in size 8-12.

Peacock is so overlooked nowadays. It changes colors depending on the piece of herl and how the light hits it. It is virtually indestructible when tied with a dubbing loop. And is so buggy looking. That said it is harder to find good herl but when one does, in-person visual inspection, buy it... One can never have enough peacock their in inventory...

Also, not surprisingly, the Carey Special is mentioned in many of the posts in this thread. The pattern has been around for over 100 years but is a tried and true favorite often overlooked.

Edited: Found this - quite interesting IMHO:

Last edited:
My favorite Lake Trout fly is a simple white streamer usually a #6 with a bit of red thread for a gill. It's fished on a Teeny 300 gr? sink tip line, w/ a short stiff leader over boulder and coble rubble at 10 to 20 ft depth. Good fishing starts a week or so after ice out where a creek runs off a mountain into a south facing bay of a high lake. Usually fishes well until they move deeper.

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
HAHA I Love it! I also think one of the biggest wins here is that we are going to live on his legacy and his product to a T. We've spent so much hands on time with him mastering his craft over the years, while adding a PNW flare with various blends. The other portion is selling to a far larger company and Im unsure as to their time spent together. As easy as dubbing sounds to create its easy to get it wrong! One thing that also is worth mentioning is almost all raw materials we source here in the PNW too!

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If you’re tying your own, try making a yellow and olive BH-WB on a #10 4xl hook. I had a winter when that combo was scoring jumbo trout for me.

I’m away from home, so I can’t post a picture my last bugger from that year. That was from my period of tying obnoxious flies to piss off big Browns. It worked well enough.

Reactions: Zak

QuickreleaseEN

Steelhead
Not to be overlooked: Sticklebacks. An abundant foodsource in most waterbodies in Western Washington State, especially for the notoriously piscivorous Coastal Cutthroat. They're small, usually not much bigger than 2 inches and most commonly 20-50mm. Rolled muddlers, small matuka, zonker or marabou winged flies with an olive hue and gold ribbed body are classic patterns, and adding parr marks is an added bit of realism. Sticklebacks are nearly always associated with structure; nearly glued onto logs, weed stalks and bottom debris or suspended under lily pads and surface mats.

For the fathead minnow enthusiasts of the forum, your patterns all represent a stickleback very well.

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter