Go-to Trout Lake Patterns

I fish lakes more than moving water anymore, now that I've stopped harassing steelhead and salmon. Here in western
WA there are lakes that are open year round and typically have bigger fish than the west side streams do.

Folks have posted some very fishy looking patterns, and I've tied/fished my share of 'modern' and flashy flies, but I've found that I enjoy tying and fishing some of the classic lake flies, which are, in my opinion, still just as productive as ever, and give me a sense of connection with the legacy of fishing lakes her in the PNW. Patterns I like include the aforementioned Carey Special and Olive Willy, but I also like the Spruce Fly, Staynor Ducktail, and simple bunny leach. My favorite lake dry fly is the Mikulak sedge. All or most of these were developed here on PNW lakes. Patterns for all of these can be found on the web.

Last edited:

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
I live in the Samammish area. I have a young baby, so my radius is very limited. I'll mostly need to fish whatever is closest/quickest. My only available watercraft will be a float tube and I'll be targeting trout.
Take a look at the WDFW stocking reports for trout plants in your area. They’re stocking some lowland lakes in western Washington now. It’s usually ok until sometime in June. After that it’s too warm in the lakes and you’ll need to switch to something else like saltwater.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like all the flies everyone has shared, especially on balanced or jig hooks under a bobber. My "what the heck should I use" starter in a lake is always a Bruised balanced leech as the top fly and a basic blood worm as the bottom fly. Fish the worm within a foot of the bottom. The worm is typically 18" below the leech.
And btw, a San Juan worm as the bottom fly has saved plenty of days as well. I know...San Juan is a river fly. Fish don't care. ;)

If the bobber isn't going down enough I'll go with my own white headed black & green bugger on a Type 3 or type 6. Slow troll to let it settle and then strip. They like the strip more than the troll. Most likely because the strip makes it go up and down since it has the white bead. Hatchery brats love this thing as well. I've caught more fish on this fly in the last few years than any other fly and it's not even close.
Size 10-14, usually 12.
Black saddle, black marabou, white bead and Hareline Micro Pearl Core Braid Olive for the body. This braid might as well be called magic. :cool:
Super easy & cheap to tie.

Attachments

• IMG_20230213_135815_2.jpg
    IMG_20230213_135815_2.jpg
    679.9 KB · Views: 38

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Man, it took me a minute to figure out the "bruise" reference. I wonder how many colors of black Simiseal has? ;-)
Haha. Well, Phil Rowley uses #21 Black & Blue Simi Seal. And here's his original video for tying it.

However, I like the red/rust modification that Solitude Fly added. They can be purchased or viewed here at Pacific Fly Fishers-

Since I usually have them on 6lb fluoro or 3x I don't lose them too often so just buy them from Pacific. And I don't have house pins. :LOL:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Haha. Well, Phil Rowley uses #21 Black & Blue Simi Seal. And here's his original video for tying it.

However, I like the red/rust modification that Solitude Fly added. They can be purchased or viewed here at Pacific Fly Fishers-

Since I usually have them on 6lb fluoro or 3x I don't lose them too often so just buy them from Pacific. And I don't have house pins. :LOL:

That's a pretty cool variation with the red/rust fore on the balanced leech. I have some Mad Scientist reddish stuff that should work but I think I'll use "black" Simiseal dubbing (it seems to have green highlights) and maybe I'll tie it on a jig since those little straight pins seem to be hard to come by anymore. I haven't purchased a "dress" shirt in 15 or more years and it seems my Costco shirts don't have pins and haven't for as long as I can remember. ;-)

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I’m too lazy to tie balanced leeches. It’s rare, but when I do put a leech under a bobber, I just use one of my smaller standard ties. Seems to work fine the couple times I’ve tried it.
I don't mind assembling balanced leech patterns but mine are rarely "balanced" so I'm not sure that having a perfectly horizontal leech presentation is necessary (until it might be).

DSCF1337.JPG

This fly ----^ was once upon a time "balanced", it kept catching fish even as the dubbing loop broke.

(My next door neighbor lady had a good stock of pins)

Last edited:

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I fished the Purple Showgirl as much as any fly over the years , it’s a Bill Schiess fly pattern tied for Henry’s Lake . I have fished that fly in many lakes in Utah , as well as Montana with success . Easy fly to tie . There are several of his flies I have tied , and used that have worked well .

I usually allow most of my lake flies to sink near the bottom, and vary the speed of stripping back . I found type 3 sink lines work about the best for me , not extremely fast sinking , but not having to wait long too get it down , also works pretty well slow trolling.

Last edited:

Buzzy

Forum Supporter

Here's my try at the "red/rust", "Orange-ish" FRAP from the Mad Scientist will have to do:IMG_2070.jpg

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
That's a pretty cool variation with the red/rust fore on the balanced leech. I have some Mad Scientist reddish stuff that should work but I think I'll use "black" Simiseal dubbing (it seems to have green highlights) and maybe I'll tie it on a jig since those little straight pins seem to be hard to come by anymore. I haven't purchased a "dress" shirt in 15 or more years and it seems my Costco shirts don't have pins and haven't for as long as I can remember. ;-)
I found lots of straight pins suitable for balanced leeches in the sewing/crafts department of Walmart. The larger beads have really big holes. Maybe some small nails would work.

A couple years ago (at this time of year) I was getting skunked at Pass. But this older gentlemen in a rowing skiff was catching em like crazy. He was using a white bunny leech with a sparkly hook shank. He was trolling very deep, with a lot of line out, and rowing pretty darn fast. He gave me one of those flies and I have tied many duplicates since that day. If a black semi seal leech is not getting bit...a white bunny leech is usually the next fly I will tie on.

I like my leeches to have gold beeds, lead wraps and various sizes and hooks (small jig hooks especially). Black ,white and green are the colors that I have found most productive. Tans, yellows, purple etc. not so much.