Go-to Trout Lake Patterns

RCF

Life of the Party
Regarding the Olive Willy, do you folks favor regular Olive Chenille basically the color of an olive that you eat, or the darker Olive color chenille? I went with the darker olive as it seemed to match the pictures I could find here and on Google. The Fly Fish Food video I think called for the darker olive also.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

I tie almost all of mine in medium olive. I feel the medium olive with the brownish/tannish hackle covering the body better represents what a bug would look like underwater. If I go darker (a variant) I like using peacock for the body.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
One other idea folks might like to try... When I've tied Willys I select a marabou feather for the tail, tie in the tip with whatever amount extending out past the bend that I want, then instead of cutting off the feather and lashing down the butts, I grab the stem of the marabout feather with hackle pliers and spin the remaining feather into a fuzzy rope. Then I wrap that for the body instead of chenille or dubbing. So now the body color matches the tail exactly and has a pretty buggy / natural look.

RCF

Life of the Party
One other idea folks might like to try... When I've tied Willys I select a marabou feather for the tail, tie in the tip with whatever amount extending out past the bend that I want, then instead of cutting off the feather and lashing down the butts, I grab the stem of the marabout feather with hackle pliers and spin the remaining feather into a fuzzy rope. Then I wrap that for the body instead of chenille or dubbing. So now the body color matches the tail exactly and has a pretty buggy / natural look.

Now THAT is a great idea! My vise will be busy this afternoon...

Last edited:

Paul_

Life of the Party
This thread got me reminiscing about my “go to” patterns over the years and how they have changed. Here’s a run down (that nobody asked for :)) of my go to flies over the years for a lake I fish a lot.
1998-1999- A simple black leech that Mark Noble told me to fish.
2000-2005- A olive egg sucking leech that Gary from the Toutle Fly Shop told me worked good.
2006-2007- I caught many fish stripping this fry pattern around downed trees.
2008-2009- My friend called this fly the McMupppet. It was tied with Mcfly Foam. It looked clownish, but it caught a lot of fish.
2010-2015- UV Polar Chenille Leech. A 2 material fly that worked great (especially in off colored water). I should probably fish this more again.
2016-2017- Balanced Leech.
2018-2019- Deer Hair Dragon.
2020- Extended body dragon. It caught a lot of fish. But it tends to fall apart after a few fish.
2021-Present- Jig Leeches.

8EE3C14B-D73E-405A-AFC0-5BF034CB26A6.jpeg

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
This thread got me reminiscing about my “go to” patterns over the years and how they have changed. Here’s a run down (that nobody asked for :)) of my go to flies over the years for a lake I fish a lot.
1998-1999- A simple black leech that Mark Noble told me to fish.
2000-2005- A olive egg sucking leech that Gary from the Toutle Fly Shop told me worked good.
2006-2007- I caught many fish stripping this fry pattern around downed trees.
2008-2009- My friend called this fly the McMupppet. It was tied with Mcfly Foam. It looked clownish, but it caught a lot of fish.
2010-2015- UV Polar Chenille Leech. A 2 material fly that worked great (especially in off colored water). I should probably fish this more again.
2016-2017- Balanced Leech.
2018-2019- Deer Hair Dragon.
2020- Extended body dragon. It caught a lot of fish. But it tends to fall apart after a few fish.
2021-Present- Jig Leeches.

View attachment 59859
That extended body dragon looks like a killer!