Go-to Trout Lake Patterns

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
What are your most dependable lake patterns, for trout, and how do you fish them? If you could be specific and include size and color, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm gearing up for my first foray into lake fishing. Thanks!

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Olive Willy. If I only had one pattern to fish that’d be it. Really easy to tie, too. Screengrab from the old site that I’ve had in my phone for a couple years below, not my SBS and apologies to the unknown author who got clipped off of the screenshot.

Edit - felt bad about the non-attribution since I love this fly so much. I think my screenshot was itself of a screenshot, of this article?

7AF0E662-8679-4C19-8593-F1C383AF5EE0.png

Last edited:

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Leeches, aquatic nymphs (damsels, dragons, and callibaetis for example), and baitfish are good places to start. Specific patterns don’t matter nearly as much as finding active fish and putting your fly in front of them. Most of my stuff is in the size range of #8-14.

When I fish from my tube I carry one setup with a full sink (usually a type 5), and one with a floating line/indicator. I cover water with my sinking line until I find fish then try to get a bite going with my indicator setup, which is very efficient when the fish are keyed into a specific depth.

As always, read this to get your mind in the proper frame:
Amazon product ASIN 0811711374

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Simi-seal leech with a red glass bead sz. 10 (or 8) 3xl. Line depends on depth but usually type 6, cast, count down and strip.
20220924_leechx3rig.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Leeches, aquatic nymphs (damsels, dragons, and callibaetis for example), and baitfish are good places to start. Specific patterns don’t matter nearly as much as finding active fish and putting your fly in front of them. Most of my stuff is in the size range of #8-14.

When I fish from my tube I carry one setup with a full sink (usually a type 5), and one with a floating line/indicator. I cover water with my sinking line until I find fish then try to get a bite going with my indicator setup, which is very efficient when the fish are keyed into a specific depth.

As always, read this to get your mind in the proper frame:
Amazon product ASIN 0811711374
Tim's book is money Jared, I became a much more confident and successful lake fisher last year after studying it. I have this version:
Amazon product ASIN 0811719642

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I probably need to reread Stillwater Strategies and start utlizing some of Tim's advice on paring down my stillwater fly boxes.......... but what's the fun in that? A couple years ago @RCF shared his recipe for his damselfly nymph: I had a lot of success with it despite it being quite fragile - I fished it in skinny water with a floating line and longish leader and in deeper water with an intermediate line. Chironomids? I have four fly boxes filled with midges of various sizes, colors - with beads, without beads, with gills, without gills, UV treated, fuzzy, ribbed, unribbed. Leeches? Yeah - as streamers and balanced. Streamers, woollybuggers, minnows, crayfish (even booby style crayfish). Speaking of boobies: yup, and blobs. I really like jigs fished under a bobber (I don't prefer the term strike indicator because I'm being contrary). One box is albled "STN and hares ears" (squirrel tail nymphs). Jeff (@Bakerite) turned me onto the benefits of deer hair dragonfly nymphs - they float, that type-7 line will get the bug down to bottom and as you strip/pause/strip/pause the fly dives/floats...

Dennisoft

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Are you typically jigging these flies or do you cast and retrieve, or both?
Well they naturally jig on the the retrieve. Fish often take them on the pause or kill if you will.

I will occasionally fish them deep vertical in the 15-25 foot range if I mark a lot of fish or just to mix up a retrieve. I will also fish them under an indicator and do well.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
@jaredoconnor are you planning on fishing lakes a cerain way? Meaning, do you want to troll, or do you want to throw chironomids, or do you want to cast and retrieve? Might help people suggest patterns that fit what you want to do.

Reactions: RCF