Given a new very old bamboo fly rod

jerry

Steelhead
A friend of mine gave me a Hardy bamboo fly rod. It is in structurally sound condition and straight. The wraps are all intact but while the varnish is all there and appears sound it has a rough texture. When I checked the serial number on this rod I found it was made in May of 1890. Since this rod is 132 years old I don't want to lose the patina by rebuilding the rod. Has anyone used any of the "restore a finish" products to bring back the smooth texture of the varnish. At a 132 years old I doubt I will take the chance and fish this rod, I just want to repair the varnish if I can without losing the patina that only 132 years can give.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
A friend of mine gave me a Hardy bamboo fly rod. It is in structurally sound condition and straight. The wraps are all intact but while the varnish is all there and appears sound it has a rough texture. When I checked the serial number on this rod I found it was made in May of 1890. Since this rod is 132 years old I don't want to lose the patina by rebuilding the rod. Has anyone used any of the "restore a finish" products to bring back the smooth texture of the varnish. At a 132 years old I doubt I will take the chance and fish this rod, I just want to repair the varnish if I can without losing the patina that only 132 years can give.
Go here:

Do you have any photos?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Depending on the condition of the original finish, ( if that is what it is ) it may be detrimental to the rod for part of the finish to be missing.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
As a collector piece, this may be something you want to keep in your collection - or sell to fund rods you'll choose to fish with.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
As a collector piece, this may be something you want to keep in your collection - or sell to fund rods you'll choose to fish with.
I've come across a few rare, higher quality bamboo rods over the years and have ended up doing four things in succession: 1) enjoy a lawn casting session or two to enjoy that rod's unique taper, 2) taken photos of the rod to keep for my own memories and/or to share, 3) sold the rod to a collector that has a special interest in that rod and 4) used that money to buy a rod or reel I'd actually fish. But I do have to admit that once they leave your possession you will never get another chance to own that rod again so you need to be sure you won't regret your decision later. Good luck!

jerry

Steelhead
Lots of good comments. I think leaving it as is would be the thing to do. Even though the varnish is a little rough, you wouldn't repaint a Rembrandt because of a little rough paint. Attached are a few photos. You can see that the label is readable and the rough texture of the varnish.1675142033652.png1675142017198.png1675142047667.png1675142083842.png1675142063591.png

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Lots of good comments. I think leaving it as is would be the thing to do. Even though the varnish is a little rough, you wouldn't repaint a Rembrandt because of a little rough paint. Attached are a few photos. You can see that the label is readable and the rough texture of the varnish.

That rod has earned that varnish and patina. When I get an old rod, I usually keep the grip as is. I like the idea of all of the people who have fished that rod before me still being a part of the rod.

I’d suggest a good long waiting period before doing anything to that rod. Like a year.

And while we’re here, can you introduce me to your friend who’s just handing out Hardys?

jerry

Steelhead
That rod has earned that varnish and patina. When I get an old rod, I usually keep the grip as is. I like the idea of all of the people who have fished that rod before me still being a part of the rod.

I’d suggest a good long waiting period before doing anything to that rod. Like a year.

And while we’re here, can you introduce me to your friend who’s just handing out Hardys?
NO! I keep such friends to myself. I have another friend that sold me a nice large arbor hardy reel for $20. I tried (not very hard) to tell him that it was worth more. I am just that kind of guy. I am not going to live forever and my wife will most likely sell my fly-fishing stuff for what she thinks I paid for them. Thirty years ago she sold my $500 Italian 15 speed bike for $10. Stand by.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
NO! I keep such friends to myself. I have another friend that sold me a nice large arbor hardy reel for $20. I tried (not very hard) to tell him that it was worth more. I am just that kind of guy. I am not going to live forever and my wife will most likely sell my fly-fishing stuff for what she thinks I paid for them. Thirty years ago she sold my $500 Italian 15 speed bike for $10. Stand by.

Totally understand.
Now, can you tell me your wife’s eBay username? 😄

flybill

Life of the Party
I would definitely keep that rod, what a beauty! Cast it a few times and see if it's fishable.. to me it looks like it, but a few times casting and you can make sure the guides are all in good shape. Assuming it is good, find a nice spot to fish and enjoy it!

The fact that you were given it from a friend makes it extra specail! I look forward to seeing some picture in action, on the lawn or water..

Cheers!

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I would definitely keep that rod, what a beauty! Cast it a few times and see if it's fishable.. to me it looks like it, but a few times casting and you can make sure the guides are all in good shape. Assuming it is good, find a nice spot to fish and enjoy it!

The fact that you were given it from a friend makes it extra specail! I look forward to seeing some picture in action, on the lawn or water..

Cheers!
I like Bill's idea. If it is fishable, take it out and catch a decent trout, take a nice pic of the rod/trout/stream, then retire the rod and hang the pic on the wall and share the photo with us. Wish that rod could tell the stories of its outings over the years.

jerry

Steelhead
I like Bill's idea. If it is fishable, take it out and catch a decent trout, take a nice pic of the rod/trout/stream, then retire the rod and hang the pic on the wall and share the photo with us. Wish that rod could tell the stories of its outings over the years.
Sounds like a good Idea. I have a few rods that I treasure and catching a single fish with them and then retiring the rod sounds like a nice idea. The other rods are trade rods and don't have much of a pedigree. They belonged to my Dad and uncles. I would hate to damage them. They have earned a retirement.