Gearing up for fall fishing

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
About 15 years ago I bought some fleece pajamas at Walmart for about $8.88. They have front slash pockets and a one button fly. They have worked perfect all these years as wader pants and are still in good shape but the fleece is getting thin now with the attendant loss of warmth. Time for some new and warmer wading pants. I spent about an hour online perusing all of the available fleece pants with prices from $16.99 to $139. I must have looked at more than a dozen and not surprisingly 99% of them offered no fly! This is just so counter-intuitive that it is hard to understand. Peeing out of waders is tough enough in the cold but wearing pants that you have to drop also is just a step too far.

I found one company that makes a heavy fleece pant with a zipper back pocket, 2 side pockets and a zip fly. They are sold by Redington for about $45. After reading a couple of hundred reviews I came away with the impression that sizing is an issue and that the stirrups are laughably weak and often tight. I have scissors that will quickly solve that problem, it is the warmth that I am mostly interested in.

Are any of you guys or gals wearing these Redington pants under your breathable waders and if so, what is your opinion of them? It appears that they are suitable to wear into a diner after fishing as they have room for a wallet and keys. I am going to try a pair, if nothing else they will add another layer of comfort to my sleeping bag on those cold nights in the Casa.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have some of the redington pants. They are decent enough.

If you’re fishing in real cold, and can spend the extra money, I’d highly recommend the orvis under wader pants. I think they are the most comfortable and warmest pants I’ve ever owned… well worth it to me.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
About 15 years ago I bought some fleece pajamas at Walmart for about $8.88. They have front slash pockets and a one button fly. They have worked perfect all these years as wader pants and are still in good shape but the fleece is getting thin now with the attendant loss of warmth. Time for some new and warmer wading pants. I spent about an hour online perusing all of the available fleece pants with prices from $16.99 to $139. I must have looked at more than a dozen and not surprisingly 99% of them offered no fly! This is just so counter-intuitive that it is hard to understand. Peeing out of waders is tough enough in the cold but wearing pants that you have to drop also is just a step too far.

I found one company that makes a heavy fleece pant with a zipper back pocket, 2 side pockets and a zip fly. They are sold by Redington for about $45. After reading a couple of hundred reviews I came away with the impression that sizing is an issue and that the stirrups are laughably weak and often tight. I have scissors that will quickly solve that problem, it is the warmth that I am mostly interested in.

Are any of you guys or gals wearing these Redington pants under your breathable waders and if so, what is your opinion of them? It appears that they are suitable to wear into a diner after fishing as they have room for a wallet and keys. I am going to try a pair, if nothing else they will add another layer of comfort to my sleeping bag on those cold nights in the Casa.
Been wearing my pair for years. I like the stirrups for putting on waders, and with the length of the legs they fall to the top of my shoes when not wearing waders for a neat "apres fishing" look. In winter I wear a poly base layer under them. After maybe 6-7 years I had to repair the stitching in the crotch that had opened up for about an inch or so. I would definitely buy them again...especially for $45.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Been wearing my pair for years. I like the stirrups for putting on waders, and with the length of the legs they fall to the top of my shoes when not wearing waders for a neat "apres fishing" look. In winter I wear a poly base layer under them. After maybe 6-7 years I had to repair the stitching in the crotch that had opened up for about an inch or so. I would definitely buy them again...especially for $45.
That’s funny - had the same issue with my redington pants and just assumed it was my fault. But I grabbed some veevus 240 and a needle and stiched em together and have been fine since

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
These are the best wading pants of all time. You can get them 30% off any day of the year by contacting one of your local Sitka dealers.

If you do a lot of fall/winter/spring fishing they are worth every penny at full price though tbh.
https://www.sitkagear.com/products/gradient-pant/waterfowl-marsh?size=L&gclid=Cj0KCQjwof6WBhD4ARIsAOi65agnk8jgBSDLzCatZ3youbjkfFhrryw9oDI1zLMAQBu4_gZGRBF8htQaAkONEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Maybe it's just me but the link doesn't seem to work.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Still no go for me...I'll post this to see if it works.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Ive,
What size bottoms do you wear?
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I have worn 36/32 Wrangler jeans for over 40 years.

Would a size XL in the Redington pants you mentioned in the first post be too big for you?
I have a pair you are welcome to if you think they would fit.
If a bit big, might be nice for just lounging around the house or sleeping in while camping.
SF

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks SF but at 167# anything XL would overwhelm me, I am barely a large. Today is my 84th birthday and I weigh 12# more than I did when I graduated in 1955. And it ain't muscle...:(
Happy Birthday!!!
I have the Redington's...good choice at a decent price.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Thanks SF but at 167# anything XL would overwhelm me, I am barely a large. Today is my 84th birthday and I weigh 12# more than I did when I graduated in 1955. And it ain't muscle...:(

No worries and happy birthday.
SF

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I wear polyester long john bottoms for fall and got some heavier Carhart branded ones for winter. No stirrups, which I’ve found to be a pain, but I just roll my socks (2 pair, poly under wool blend) over the bottom of the legs. No issues with them staying in place. Both have no zippers but that’s never an issue, maybe because I have zippered waders. Neither were much over $20 IIRC.

Islander

Life of the Party
Ive, I bought a pair of those Redington wader pants from the guy that had the fly shop in Spokane. Can’t remember his name, but think he moved to Arizona after closing the shop. Still have them and they work great.

iggie

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I just wear a pair of wool pants under my waders. Still keep me warm even if damp after a swim.