Gear

Tom.S

Smolt
So I’m so excited that my day for fly fishing classes is getting closer.

I have listened to people, watched videos of what I need to buy and now I have come to the realization that I simply cannot carry all this stuff

I have bought
Boots
Stockings
Waders
Vest
Hat
Some type of a cross shoulder bag
Wicker basket
Net
First aid kit
Numerous flies and boxes
A hook sharpener ( is this really an issue)
Two poles
Two reels
A two pole carrier
A lunch box
Retractable thingys so I don’t lose things like the hook sharpener
Tippets
Leaders
Pliers
Weight crimpers
Some type of a surgical instrument forceps and a retractable thingy for them
Two sets of magnifying glasses
Line clippers and a retractable thingy
More line
Floating fly line that apparently won’t work if the fly needs to sink hence the second pole
Sun glasses polarized so I can see better?
Velcro straps for my boots to keep the gravel out
Weights
Fly tying knot instruction cards on plastic with retractable thingy

Been told to buy a 12 gauge for bear or bear spray? Just how far does that spray go?

Been told to buy a removable bug net

I think I should have just went to the class first.

Me trying to find a hobby I can continue after I retire to Tennessee in 6 years.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Tell us about your wardrobe. Choosing a tasteful selection from this season's palette, properly coordinated accessories, and just the right inseam length shorts can be a make or break proposition, especially for those all-important post-piscatorial social gatherings. We happen to have a resident fashion expert here on the forum who would surely be willing to offer advice.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
And constantly expanding expenditures replacing broken or lost equipment.
He's been hanging with some mentors at the Deer Park airport and recently went to one of their homes. He said the guy has around 40 planes.
That said, I guess I'm probably somewhat close to that on fly rods. :)

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
As You start to fish you will see that you don't need all that gear. I can go fish and only need a tapered leader or (2). Well really one, a few rolls of tippet. A box of flies, no creel for the fish as most fly fishers only catch and release their fish. Maybe a net to land their fish. Note: Before I had a net I used to catch lots of fish. Now that I bought a net I haven't caught a fish to use a net on. Life is funny that way.

I might pack a lunch but keep it in the truck until hungry. Now a days I'm to crippled to wade, so I find a nice hole to fish. I park by the hole, get my camp chair out to sit my ass on/in and go to casting and catching fish. I carry a camera around to take pictures of things other than fish. Since my catching has fallen off. Lots of nice scenery here in Montana.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
This is where the wicker basket goes.:)
View attachment 31215

I was floating the hatchery drift on the Sol Duc late in springer season earlier this year, around 7/4, and a dude was casting what looked like a 4/5wt with a small fly in a springer hole rocking a wicker creel that looked just like that ^^. I couldn't help but be a smartass and said something along the lines of "I don't think those spring chinook are going to fit in your creel...".

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Tell us about your wardrobe. Choosing a tasteful selection from this season's palette, properly coordinated accessories, and just the right inseam length shorts can be a make or break proposition, especially for those all-important post-piscatorial social gatherings. We happen to have a resident fashion expert here on the forum who would surely be willing to offer advice.
What...wait...there are post-piscatorial social gatherings? You mean I've been drowning my post-piscatorial sorrows in needless solitude?

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I have observed two types of fly fishers.

1. Buy/find/borrow/inherit some crap gear, go out fishing and end up doing it for the next 30 years.

2. Spend weeks researching gear, buy everything, go fishing once and then never again.

This does not bode well, for the OP. 😂

Last edited:

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yup, quit collecting gear, and go use it. I remember going through the gear collecting, and dragging that stuff around the stream, or lake, whatever. Now I have a couple Columbia shirts with pockets big enough to carry a couple fly boxes, but I usually only carry one. Pin a zinger on with some floatant, nippers (economy), and some kind of forceps and I am good to go. I like the simpler approach better. Sure there are times when I don't have THE fly, but can usually find a fish willing to play. I enjoy it more with less.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
@Tom.S ;
Good thing you seem to have a thick skin. That will serve you well here.

One of the threads that is an absolute must read for anyone starting out is the What's in Your Vise thread. And if you haven't read it yet, this article will help too;

Ugh, my fault, bad editing, but do read the article by Mumbles. . ..Regarding the What's in Your Vise thread, besides being a treasure trove of information, the humble exhibition of talent from members here is stunning. In between are stories and tips to help just about anyone.

It seems like your intended species is trout, but dont ignore panfish and other species. A large bluegill on a 3 weight flyrod is just as much fun as a large trout on a 5 weight.

wetline dave

Steelhead
You are making it way too complicated. All you need is a rod reel and line and some appropriate tippet. About 6 or so flies depending on where you are fishing and I can probably come up with 12 flies that will fish every where.

If you can't carry it all in a few pockets you have too much crap. You are obviously reading too many how to articles, most likely written by suppliers.

A12 year old kid with a willow branch, string and hook with a worm will catch every fish in the crick, so how hard is it really.

All that gear doesn't catch fish! Your ability to read water and understand what is going on is what produces fish and understanding the yearly cycles.

Go out and relax and observe what is going on before you jump in the river and beat the water to death. Learn strategy and approach. Lots of books on those topics.

Dave

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
You didn't list a fishing license... Those come in handy now and again.

And buy extra flies. Big ones. You're not going to fish with them, but what good is a fishing hat if it doesn't have at least a dozen flies stuck in it?