Garmin Striker 4

Islander

Life of the Party
So I have the opportunity to pick up a lightly used Striker 4 very cheap. I currently have an older Lowrance X-4 and it serves me well. I also have the small portable Fishtrax 1c I use for hike in lakes or when I take the smaller Cruzer tube. The Garmin has gps, which I’m not sure I would use much just having it on a pontoon boat. Anyone have one and do you find (or use) the extra features offered in a Garmi? It seems most of the time I just use water temp, depth and bottom structure.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I have a Striker 4cv and it's been fine. I also ended up with one of the older original Striker 4's (when I bought my little boat) and while the clearvu feature and slightly larger screen of the 4cv is nice, the regular 4 is plenty usable as a basic fish finder. That said, I'm also not much of a fish finder expert and I'm sure don't use either of them to their max capabilities.

I feel like @Billy has one of the Striker 4's as well?

T

Tombraider

Have the Striker, can't get fish in multi size on screen. But like it well.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Had mine for about 3 years. Don't use GPS, but like bottom structure, depth, time,temp, and it's pretty good at spotting where fish are hanging.

I just use 'Traditional' and it identfies fish and their respective depths the way I've got it set. Are they always fish? Of course not, but it has helped me immensely when they're hanging deep and also for setting indicator tippet depth in shallower water. Very valuable for line selection.

Watch some of the Garmin Striker 4 tutorials, and learn the menus.

It also has a simulation mode so you can experiment off water to determine how you want to set it up.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Had mine for about 3 years. Don't use GPS, but like bottom structure, depth, time,temp, and it's pretty good at spotting where fish are hanging.

I just use 'Traditional' and it identfies fish and their respective depths the way I've got it set. Are they always fish? Of course not, but it has helped me immensely when they're hanging deep and also for setting indicator tippet depth in shallower water. Very valuable for line selection.

Watch some of the Garmin Striker 4 tutorials, and learn the menus.

It also has a simulation mode so you can experiment off water to determine how you want to set it up.
this ^^

That's basically how I use mine. Almost more for structure, depth, surface temp. Any fish that show up are a bonus (the fish I'm after are DEFINITELY fish on the finder).