Game changers?

tkww

Steelhead
Good lighting
I couldn't live w/o rotary hackle pliers
I have at least a dozen bobins. :rolleyes:
The Renzetti tool caddy is pretty great IMO

I'm a Uni-thread guy. But I do have some UTC for when I want a thread that just really likes to flatten out. Veevus has certainly become quite popular. I use it in the smallest sizes for small flies. I use gel spun (Veevus currently) for when I need extreme strength. Veevus also makes it in some smaller sizes, so if you want something ultra-strong but not as bulky for smaller flies, that's a great option.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Good lighting
I couldn't live w/o rotary hackle pliers
I have at least a dozen bobins. :rolleyes:
The Renzetti tool caddy is pretty great IMO

I'm a Uni-thread guy. But I do have some UTC for when I want a thread that just really likes to flatten out. Veevus has certainly become quite popular. I use it in the smallest sizes for small flies. I use gel spun (Veevus currently) for when I need extreme strength. Veevus also makes it in some smaller sizes, so if you want something ultra-strong but not as bulky for smaller flies, that's a great option.
It’s 50 denier GSP
Interesting stuff. Thin, really strong, takes a bit getting use to it

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Probably the biggest game changer, other than a rotary vise I bought when they first came out , for me was when I came across the Stonflo bobbins with the adjustable thread drag system:

View attachment 8888

I have purchased both the large and smaller size bobbins and replaced every one of my spring arm type. And I too use a different bobbin for the thread colors I use the most.
I absolutely love my Stonfo! I still have a couple other, cheaper ones, but once they break down, they'll be replaced with Stonfos.

Pescaphile

Steelhead
Another vote for the Renzetti Traveler.

A Materelli whip finisher is really nice to have. I've used the spring type, e.g. Thompson, but never liked them. The Materelli was easier and gave great control.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Damn, every time this thread titled, "game changers" pops up I think about that actual fly.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
3 words:
Hand Whip Finish
I’ve been working on it for years. Finally- I can do it right 100% of the time.
No big deal?????
I find it extremely helpful especially when you are tying heads of deer hair or big dubbing heads.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
The finger dubbing brush tool from hareline is so simple yet so invaluable to me. From making brushes to combing out some stubborn materials, it’s incredibly helpful (and cheap)

cedarslug

Steelhead
I’m no expert tier by any means, but here’s a few things I found incredibly helpful.

• Good adjustable lighting. Stationary lamps are fine, but an adjustable desk lamp is money. Bonus points if you can get an LED lamp with adjustable lighting temperature
  • A small sponge to help with damping marabou feathers, etc.
  • Good hair stacker. I don’t own one, but Kelly Galloup looks to have really nice stackers that come in different sizes according to hair length and hook size
  • I’m limited on thread brands, but Veevus has been great. I found them really durable for saltwater flies
  • Good pair of Fiskars. I use a sharp point pair of Fiskars that are great. I cut wire and thread towards the base of the blade, and cut hair towards to the blade tip. Specialty fly tying scissors are too expensive for me, and don’t take the abuse of cutting wire
  • Shoebox (or any rectangular receptacle). I do have a dedicated area for tying, however, if I’m watching a show with the wife or the Mariners lose, it’s nice to pick up everything and tie on the move. Plus, it helps keep loose hooks and material from the floor
Have fun tying!

Reactions: Zak

onefish

Steelhead
If you are tying chironomids you will want UTC 70 thread. Anything made by Stonfo. I have a small telescoping magnet that I use daily when I drop a hook or bead on the floor. I also keep one in my boat for the same reason.

1652015413616.png

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
This is kinda a negative game changer but what's made a huge difference in my tying is losing the quality of my eyesight.. I sit down to tie and what comes out when I'm done is disappointing so I get up and walk away..

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is kinda a negative game changer but what's made a huge difference in my tying is losing the quality of my eyesight.. I sit down to tie and what comes out when I'm done is disappointing so I get up and walk away..
Rob, that's something that unfortunately affects most of us as we age but there's alot of aids that will keep you in the game.
The other option is to fish for bigger fish w/12'' flies like @clarkman.:ROFLMAO:

onefish

Steelhead
I use one of these ( stonfo magnifier ) but their are many magnifiers and lights to help us old guys out

1652023259569.png

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter

Rob, you could also roll with something like this:

0eW8Qz2.jpg

We used these back when I had to do direct brain injections (and surgery) in mice. worked great!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Rob, that's something that unfortunately affects most of us as we age but there's alot of aids that will keep you in the game.
The other option is to fish for bigger fish w/12'' flies like @clarkman.:ROFLMAO:
Not only has my eyesight gotten worse over the years, I find that spending time at the vise has made it even more worse...I got an led light/magnifier from Norvise, which is great. When I bought it, I didn't know it required a Norvise thread post to mount the light on...which requires a Norvise mounting board for the thread post...so I bought both (I could have fabricated a mounting solution, but decided not to reinvent the wheel)...now I'm thinking of actually getting a Norvise vise; I currently have a Renzetti Traveler, which I like...

The light/magnifier is a true game changer for me...especially when tying nymphs & midges...