Game changers?

Chadk

Life of the Party
Getting ramped up to start tying again.

Most of my equipment is pretty old. In fact, my vise is a hand-me-down from @Old Man .

I'm thinking of trying a rotary vise. What else should I be looking at? Any tools that were a game changer for you?

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Nice bobbins (and several of them to hold my most commonly used threads) made a difference for me. Stonfo makes a cheap little plastic tool with a fur comb on one end and a Velcro scrubber on the other that I use all the time. Good lighting and a backdrop makes it far easier to see what you're tying.

But a nice vise was the real game changer for me. I use a Peak Rotary and it won't break the bank.

A pin vise makes an awesome dubbing needle.

I recently, finally, got around to packing a pill bottle with steel wool and melting a little hole in the cap. When my dubbing needle gets crud on it I jam it in there a few times and it comes out shiney and new.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
+1 on multiple bobbins!

UV resin and light
(IMHO Solarez gives the best finish, but some folks are badly allergic to it. I am, so I use Gulff. Has slightly oily finish after curing, so slap on a quick overcoat of Sally Hanson InstaDry clear nail polish.)

Dubbing loop spinner and dubbing wax

Needle nose pliers for crushing barbs before tying

Good hackle pliers

Bobbin threader

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Also in the multiple bobbins camp. Saves a lot of time.

Loon has a really long set of tweezers that I love (D Loop Tweezers).

If you're going to be tying composite loops, make yourself a card you can use to get proportions right/consistent. I think aqua flies sells one w/ Jerry French's name on it, but you can make you're own for basically free. Mine cost me an index card and some sharpie ink (so pretty close to free).

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
It's funny, I thought a bobbin threader was necessary, and then I learned you can just suck the thread through. I still use the bobbin threader, but I'm glad I learned that trick in case I take tying stuff on a trip and forget it or something.

Chadk

Life of the Party
It's funny, I thought a bobbin threader was necessary, and then I learned you can just suck the thread through. I still use the bobbin threader, but I'm glad I learned that trick in case I take tying stuff on a trip and forget it or something.
Yeah, I have threaders, but I've used a piece of mono or sucked it through as well.

Thanks for all the tips. I think I have those covered, but should probably get another ceramic bobbin.

How about thread? Any modern updates I should look into? Or is thread still pretty much thread? Kevlar worth it? Waxed or unwaxed?

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
True, but it's very hard to suck rubber legs through the bodkin hole you poked in a foam popper head.

Please video it and share, though, if you try! 😃

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
Probably the biggest game changer, other than a rotary vise I bought when they first came out , for me was when I came across the Stonflo bobbins with the adjustable thread drag system:

1647461712987.png

I have purchased both the large and smaller size bobbins and replaced every one of my spring arm type. And I too use a different bobbin for the thread colors I use the most.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yeah, I have threaders, but I've used a piece of mono or sucked it through as well.

Thanks for all the tips. I think I have those covered, but should probably get another ceramic bobbin.

How about thread? Any modern updates I should look into? Or is thread still pretty much thread? Kevlar worth it? Waxed or unwaxed?
I like Veevus for when I need it to not break (spinning hair) and Danville Flymaster 6/0 waxed for everything else. If I could use only one thread, it would be Danville Flymaster 6/0 waxed in olive.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
A box of round toothpicks and a pad of post it notes.
I always have both on my tying bench.
SF

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Probably the biggest game changer, other than a rotary vise I bought when they first came out , for me was when I came across the Stonflo bobbins with the adjustable thread drag system:

View attachment 8888

I have purchased both the large and smaller size bobbins and replaced every one of my spring arm type. And I too use a different bobbin for the thread colors I use the most.
Rite bobbins are a similar option. I like how Rite bobbins feel in my hand. Someday I want to try a Norvise automatic bobbin.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
Someday I want to try a Norvise automatic bobbin
My friend, Dave Engerbretson, used a Norvise and I got to try the bobbin. I wasn't really crazy about the vise, I like my DynaKing, but the bobbin and with self retracting bit was really cool .... not as cool as the price for one of the bobbins... but pretty cool.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
What do you do with the toothpicks?
(I hope I'm not setting myself up for a punchline here...)

Lol….
Mainly use them for adhesives as I like the fine points on them. Can be helpful for sticking on eyes, cleaning out eyes, poking holes through foam / foam heads and plucking out materials, sticking flies on for drying tacky uv cure outside etc.
SF