Rod Building G Loomis GLX Born Again?

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Introduced in 1993, the G Loomis GLX has been one of the iconic fly rods in fly fishing history. Originally offered after the successful Loomis IMX, the GLX was supposed to be a de-tuned version geared more towards an intermediate caster. Thing was, it was so pleasant and efficient to use it became a huge success, spurring many years of future designs and cementing G Loomis as one of the leading rod manufacturers. Gary Loomis sold his company to Shimano shortly after its introduction. Between his technology and Steve Rajeff's brilliant design a winner was created.

In 2010 Gary Loomis started North Fork Composites, a blank rod manufacturer in Woodland, WA. Woodland is the home of G Loomis and Lamiglass, all companies Gary was involved with. Being a hobbyist rod builder, I had called NFC to ask about their fly rods. Their sales rep Steve told me that the Classic designated fly rods they sell are the original GLX tapers. Combined with No. Forks advanced technology and you have, in my mind at least, the rebirth of a classic. Here's a link to an interesting blog..

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/g-loomis-fly-rods-1982-1997.707589/

Last edited:

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I don't know what the original rod came in or if you had a choice. I like med. flex for dry flies. Fast flex for the beach. I'm going to build the 2- piece 8# for my streamer rod..

Sageguy

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
I have the GLX STREAMDANCE 696 and 6100 rods.l They are amazing casting rods. My son has the 596 and loves it for streamers and dries.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
I have the Streamdance 696. Seems like a medium fast rod with a light tip. Sweet rod and nicely built. Even with the 6 wt it’s not overpowering 12” trout, and yet, I’ve caught a few summer Steelhead with it.

EE720ADB-AED3-4541-9BE2-F2B3D2D2B4FA.jpeg