Freshwater SRC flies

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
What are some of your favorites? Looking for some new ideas to add to my box. I’m a big time spider guy, whether reversed or the original, I fish them a ton. Would be cool to get a peek at some of your flies, whether a classic, or some new age high tech wizardry. I need some inspiration. Cheers.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Spiders in a variety of sizes and colors at any time. In spring I fish a lot of small fry imitations and in the fall can not go wrong with October caddis or any other caddis type and a muddler pattern . Always have few non duck soft hackles and few attractor patterns stick in a corner of the box. To round out things some small BWOs, some larger Mays, a crane fly, ant and beetle and have my bases pretty cmuch overed. However to be honest more than 90% my cutts come on spiders.

Curt

Last edited:

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
My box is pretty much identical to what Smalma describes. BWO, mahoganies, OC, drakes, crane flies and termites and some random attractor dries, lots of spiders, some bunny leeches, and random small streamers. I’ll definitely tie a whole variety of rolled muddlers, and gonna add some Mickey Finn’s, kinda forgot about that fly.

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
Are you targeting SRC by swinging those larger steelhead flies or are you just sorta fishing through for whatever grabs the fly?
I am. I use a size 4 at the very largest. Those were some older ties. My newer ones I'm using more number 6 and 8. I for the most part swing everything I fish unless I'm src fishing in the salt or running dries, and even then I'll get a lot of fish swinging bugs on a tight line versus only dead drifting. The hang down is super important too, the longer you can stand your fly just sitting there....

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Used to catch a lot of cutts on just basic buggers, but tied in a bunch of different colored bodies and hackle. Stuff like a yellow tail and body with orange hackle or black tail and body with yellow hackle.
The nymph game is kind of boring compared to stripping patterns, but a copper john or lightning bug will do some serious damage during a good bwo hatch.
Borden Special would be another good one.
SF

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Used to catch a lot of cutts on just basic buggers, but tied in a bunch of different colored bodies and hackle. Stuff like a yellow tail and body with orange hackle or black tail and body with yellow hackle.
The nymph game is kind of boring compared to stripping patterns, but a copper john or lightning bug will do some serious damage during a good bwo hatch.
Borden Special would be another good one.
SF

Lighting bugs should be illegal for cutthroat!

And bobbers :LOL:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
i like that top one a lot, I’d tie that one on confidently!
Thanks, I am pretty sure it is the Hari Kari fly out of an old edition of Les Johnson’s book, which I cannot locate at the moment, a perturbing matter on its own.