Foraging Book

Phil Fravel

Steelhead
Looking for recommendations on a small foraging book. Nothing huge the kind you could keep in your back pocket while hiking. That covers the PNW.

Mark Melton

Life of the Party
+100 for all that the rain promises
I gotta get that other one. I was fascinated by poke poling for a while. Good videos on YouTube.
You should get the Sea Forager's Guide To The Northern California Coast. It's got a part on poke pole fishing in it and a lot of the species he talks about are in Oregon and Washington as well. Plus the author's got just the right touch of smartass.

Pacific Northwest Foraging, by Douglas Deer. Timber Press
I don't know if they have a smaller edition, mine would be a chunk to hike with.
I was looking at that but couldn't tell how good it was from the description. Doe's it have good illustrations or pictures of the plants and good descriptions of which parts are edible?

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You should get the Sea Forager's Guide To The Northern California Coast. It's got a part on poke pole fishing in it and a lot of the species he talks about are in Oregon and Washington as well. Plus the author's got just the right touch of smartass.

I was looking at that but couldn't tell how good it was from the description. Doe's it have good illustrations or pictures of the plants and good descriptions of which parts are edible?
It has good photos, and the text covers things to look out for. The description, along with the photo should help make a positive ID, the photos are focused on the edible part, It would be a bit better with a photo of the plant in it's habitat, but those are hard photos to take. It covers season, and habitat. He describes how best to consume each one whether cooked or raw.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
All that the rain promises and more is the best one for mushrooms.
If you go to a bookstore you might have to ask for it. For some reason mushroom books are high theft items.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
I don’t really know of a good one size fits all pocket sized book that covers everything. I’ve seen a few out there but I wouldn’t recommend them based on their lack of detailed info. I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. Berries, plants, mushrooms? Wet side or dry side? Both?

All the Rain Promises is a great beginner book for west coast mushroom hunting but it sounds like you already have that. If you don’t already have it I’d highly recommend the next step up, Mushrooms Demystified. Also the somewhat new Mushrooms of the Redwood Coast.

Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast is an invaluable resource for overall plant ID along with the sister book for the dry side.

Food Plants of the Coastal and Interior Peoples are worth having as well.

59AB920A-9465-4D08-979D-C38F0ACA77A7.jpeg

Dave

Phil Fravel

Steelhead
All that the rain promises and more is the best one for mushrooms.
If you go to a bookstore you might have to ask for it. For some reason mushroom books are high theft items.
Been using that book for years. I was mainly interested in foraging other than mushrooms. I should of stated that.

Phil Fravel

Steelhead
I don’t really know of a good one size fits all pocket sized book that covers everything. I’ve seen a few out there but I wouldn’t recommend them based on their lack of detailed info. I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. Berries, plants, mushrooms? Wet side or dry side? Both?

All the Rain Promises is a great beginner book for west coast mushroom hunting but it sounds like you already have that. If you don’t already have it I’d highly recommend the next step up, Mushrooms Demystified. Also the somewhat new Mushrooms of the Redwood Coast.

Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast is an invaluable resource for overall plant ID along with the sister book for the dry side.

View attachment 28764

Dave

Phil Fravel

Steelhead

View attachment 28764

Dave
Thanks Dave. This helps a lot!!!

Phil Fravel

Steelhead
Well it's just my opinion but the best foraging opportunity in the PNW that goes almost totally untapped is blackberries. They are yummy and they are everywhere.
For starters anyway.
Thanks Rob. Your a wealth of knowledge 😂. I was able to identify those pretty young. I’m kind of looking for info on the next level. 😜 😝