For those who know trailer wheel bearings

gpt

Smolt
Just an FYI for those think theres nothing better than oil bath bubs. They need to be used on a regular bassis. If they sit most of the year they will have problems. A trailer shop I have used strongly opposed to using them on boat trailers because they tend to sit around to much.

But he did liked the extra work he got!
ten years without a single problem for my EZ loader boat trailer. other important point, no rollers, only bunks with quick slop pads. i could drive the boat directly onto the trailer, winch, maybe 8'" is all it took. the trick here was to keep the top of the fenders above the water level. folks tend to submerge their trailer too deeply for this drive on to work very well.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Only one eye. You better get the other one checked. If one goes bad the other isn't far behind. If you can afford them get the good lens.
Thanks, Jim. They do them one at a time; second eye is scehduled next month.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
ten years without a single problem for my EZ loader boat trailer. other important point, no rollers, only bunks with quick slop pads. i could drive the boat directly onto the trailer, winch, maybe 8'" is all it took. the trick here was to keep the top of the fenders above the water level. folks tend to submerge their trailer too deeply for this drive on to work very well.

Like I said, if used regularly it's not an issue, it's when they sit for long pirods of time.

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
I'm currently planning to replace all 4 hubs on my trailer. Apparently EZ Loader uses some proprietary/weird sizes for their spindles. I've contacted them a few times but they've been less than helpful. So once my busy towing season winds down, I'm going to get it up on a jack, pull off a hub, and start figuring out what I have in there.
I just purchased an old EZ trailer and trying to find the correct new hubs. Purchased one set thinking they were correct, but the diameter was the 1-1/16” not 1”. Then purchased the 1-1/16” only to find the hub was to long and could not install the washer and nut. Not sure what or where to go find a replacement. The original hub is approximately 3-1/2” while new hubs are 4” and extend past the threads. The spindle is approximately 2-5/8” before the threads.
Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated. Local (Seattl) better since I can then return them.

Attachments

• BAB14F97-5508-485B-A4D8-2AA6A93070F3.jpeg
    BAB14F97-5508-485B-A4D8-2AA6A93070F3.jpeg
    696.5 KB · Views: 4

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
sometimes best to call up Potter Webster and buy a new axle complete with hubs and zirc lubed bearings and swap out the old axle. Last time I did it was $250 to my front door for a 16' drift boat trailer. The old axle was welded on so zipped it off with an angle grinder and U-bolted on the new one. While at it prepped the trailer frame and gave it a coupla coats of epoxy, installed new LED lights, new wheels and tires. Do it once, done for the next coupla decades.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
I just purchased an old EZ trailer and trying to find the correct new hubs. Purchased one set thinking they were correct, but the diameter was the 1-1/16” not 1”. Then purchased the 1-1/16” only to find the hub was to long and could not install the washer and nut. Not sure what or where to go find a replacement. The original hub is approximately 3-1/2” while new hubs are 4” and extend past the threads. The spindle is approximately 2-5/8” before the threads.
Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated. Local (Seattl) better since I can then return them.
I believe these are what you need. It's what I had to buy for my old EZ Loader. 3.5" long with 1-1/16" diameter.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
A related question, maybe. We obsess about our trailer bearings, but I have never given the bearings on my car a single thought. Why aren’t we doing our car bearings every so often? Is it just the water, but then why are folks wound up about other kinds of trailer bearings?
A lot of newer automotive wheel bearings have plastic races and/or cages. If you try to do your car bearings at home and haven't been trained or done a few dozen, you can actually crush the bearings doing an improper preload . And those things aren't cheap.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Also, @Josh
After picking up the camper from you, we made a stop for refreshments in Lynwood. While the wife and kid were in the store i checked the bearings. They werent even warm. I checked again when we got it home and same story. I remember you seemed a bit worried at the time, but you did a good job when you replaced them.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Also, @Josh
After picking up the camper from you, we made a stop for refreshments in Lynwood. While the wife and kid were in the store i checked the bearings. They werent even warm. I checked again when we got it home and same story. I remember you seemed a bit worried at the time, but you did a good job when you replaced them.
Great to hear!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Mark - you might take your old hub to a bearing supplier. @flywiese works at Harbor Marine in Everett, I'm sure Jerry could help you (long drive?). Good luck!