Fly Vise w/ Inline Rotary vs. Rotary Function - How helpful is inline truly?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I'm in the camp of one is not enough. I have an old Regal pedestal that I clamp to my desk and a Renzetti Traveler rotary for travel.

onefish

Steelhead
I tied rotary style, on a Renzetti apprentice for a number of years, and it worked fine for an entry level vice. I wanted to upgrade and got my hands on Peak, Renzetti and Stonfo rotary vices. I liked the stonfo the best so that is the one I chose but it was pricier. It holds the hook really well, is super smooth and can be easily adjusted for true in line rotary function. There are also various jaws that can be swapped in and out for extra small or extra large hook sizes.
That being said, any of the options that have been mentioned will work just fine for you.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Many really good thoughts in this thread. When my Thompson B quit holding hooks I bought a regal rotary, and agree with comments of ease of use, ect. which was part of my criteria. I started with the jaws horizontal and tried to use the rotary, I can see some benefits. It's now set at and angle like my old one for what I'm tying now. I really appreciate the rotary for getting a trim on a muddler head. I think if I had not tied so long without I'd use it more. I also had enough to spend, that hopefully I could be ahead for the skills I hope to develop, and do things like UV resin as well.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I see absolutely zero reason to not buy a true rotary vise. Even if you don't use it to wrap materials, being able to see all sides of a fly, invert for clousers and other such flies where you tie on the underside of the hook, and definitely when working with UV resin, the rotary function is huge. You can lock a rotary vise in place if you don't need the rotary function. You can't make a non rotary vise spin if you want it.

Kinda jumping in here, but when you say lock, do you mean totally lock or tighten down so that you can still rotate with some resistance?

My ideal vise would have the ability to spin, plus the ability to add varying degrees of resistance. (like a good disc drag).

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Kinda jumping in here, but when you say lock, do you mean totally lock or tighten down so that you can still rotate with some resistance?

My ideal vise would have the ability to spin, plus the ability to add varying degrees of resistance. (like a good disc drag).

All of the quality full rotary vises I've owned, and I've owned most of them, have a rotary tension screw that you can essentially tighten all the way and lock the vise to where it is basically non rotary. I reckon if someone tried hard enough they could still get it to rotate, but for all intents and purposes they would be locked.

You can definitely adjust the tension as you described. I do so often. When tying clousers I'll often invert my vise then tighten down the tension screw to prevent it from flopping over while I'm tying the underside.

Another option that provides some interesting abilities is the DK Ultimate Indexer. That vise has the option to actually click and lock at I think 8 positions as the vise is rotated. Not a cheap vise though. I owned one but found I never really used that feature.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
traveler.png

my renzetti traveler has a screw that you can tighten to keep it from rotating and make it stationary

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Found it. I like the idea of you paying it forward. I'm in Longview, but I'm pretty sure we will be making our way to West Seattle in the next couple of weeks, let me know what works for you.

Just an update and a big thank you to nwbobber! We met up this last weekend and he gave me his Griffin rotary vise and I am very appreciative that he took to time to help me out. It was great meeting you and talking a little fishing. This vise is going to work well for me and it's far far better than the cheap junker vise I've been using. I look forward to tying many a fly and some jigs on this thing!

Thanks again Sir!

sXbio8Tl.jpg