fly tyers meeting (Albany Fly Tiers Expo March 10-11)

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'll be there Saturday with Danger Dan, Bronco Skippy, and Cautious Clay, (river names) trying to learn new stuff and cash in on good buys. Looking forward to a fun day.

d

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
There are some good deals on materials here
Lots of discounted stuff that you can look at up close
Pretty cool
Yep, just grabbed 3 full saddle hackles. Probably be using them during the afternoon session.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I wandered around for awhile this morning and didn't recognize anyone other than a fishing buddy from a long time ago. It was right after opening so there really wasn't a lot of folks there. It was good to catch up on my old fishing buddy .... found out who was still alive and who wasn't. His name is Cal Hudspeth and ties great traditional soft hackles so if you're there today, you might want to find his tying station.

I, of course, had to buy some feathers.

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
I was worried about the FTD booth, but blew my budget on feathers before I even got there.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I enjoyed meeting and chatting with a number of PNW members at the expo on Friday. Re shopping, didn’t buy anything except an expensive plastic glass of wine at the banquet. There were a lot of bargains on material throughout the expo but for a guy like me with an entire bedroom full of materials at home, I found it pretty tedious to find something I “might”need. However, for a new tyer the Expo is a great opportunity to stock up on supplies on the cheap and pick the minds of accomplished tyers. This was my 2nd trip to Albany and I really like the comraderie that the Oregon Fly Fishing community has. It is a bit more energetic than the SW Montana crowd. I’ll be back as long as I am healthy.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I enjoyed meeting and chatting with a number of PNW members at the expo on Friday. Re shopping, didn’t buy anything except an expensive plastic glass of wine at the banquet. There were a lot of bargains on material throughout the expo but for a guy like me with an entire bedroom full of materials at home, I found it pretty tedious to find something I “might”need. However, for a new tyer the Expo is a great opportunity to stock up on supplies on the cheap and pick the minds of accomplished tyers. This was my 2nd trip to Albany and I really like the comraderie that the Oregon Fly Fishing community has. It is a bit more energetic than the SW Montana crowd. I’ll be back as long as I am healthy.
I was there but didn't get to meet any PNW forum guys. I couldn't find any materials I needed but saw some beautiful rare pheasant skins at prices I was unwilling to pay. But as usual got to meet a lot of nice folks and some very good tiers. I've been going to this event back in the days when it was in Eugene. And as usual learn a lot of tying techniques and ideas new to me. I also renew the need for attention to detail and proper use of materials. It's what I love about this dynamic hobby. Always new and exciting stuff and people. Time to go fishing. By the way I wore my Greased Line Fly Shoppe hat in honor of my fly fishing teacher and guru Mark Noble. Hoped it would generate some conversation but alas it didn't happen. Still had a great time. Now its time to shut up and go fishing.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It was good visit Mike

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I wandered around for awhile this morning and didn't recognize anyone other than a fishing buddy from a long time ago. It was right after opening so there really wasn't a lot of folks there. It was good to catch up on my old fishing buddy .... found out who was still alive and who wasn't. His name is Cal Hudspeth and ties great traditional soft hackles so if you're there today, you might want to find his tying station.

I, of course, had to buy some feathers.
Day 2 picked after Opening Ceremonies, Bagpipes, and Flags...quite a few more people than Day 1.

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This was my first time attending. I had a freaking blast! I met @mcswny while standing in line at the food truck. I was only able to attend Friday because I had another event to attend back home on Saturday. I am definitely coming back next year. I started my day attending Denny Rickards lecture on stillwater presentations. I won a raffle with a bunch of fly tying material and a book by Randall Kaufmann, "Bonefishing". I spent most of the day watching some seriously talented tyers. I had a great time meeting Marty Howard and learned a ton while he tied some beautiful steelhead flies. I attended the banquet and met a bunch of really nice people. What impressed me was the amount of experience and knowledge and everyone was so helpful. I then received a phone call last night with news that was the icing on the cake. I was notified I had won the grand prize raffle. Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
That was a lot of fun. Had a blast tying & chatting with folks. It was great to put some faces to names and great to see some folks I hadn't seen in a while. It was also good to drop some coin on several excellent big streamer saddles. All three have a nice mix of thick and thin. I really like the thin for just adding little highlights and I've started using the thick for some of my tails.
PXL_20230312_190823987~2.jpg

I ended up bailing out about an hour before my afternoon tying session was finished as I was starting to feel a bit under the weather (tested negative each of the last couple of days).

I dunno what it was like on Saturday, but I didn't really see anyone tying streamers (I don't really count the showpiece married wing steelhead patterns, which there were a good number of).
Cheers!

RGB

Smolt
I was there but didn't get to meet any PNW forum guys. I couldn't find any materials I needed but saw some beautiful rare pheasant skins at prices I was unwilling to pay. But as usual got to meet a lot of nice folks and some very good tiers. I've been going to this event back in the days when it was in Eugene. And as usual learn a lot of tying techniques and ideas new to me. I also renew the need for attention to detail and proper use of materials. It's what I love about this dynamic hobby. Always new and exciting stuff and people. Time to go fishing. By the way I wore my Greased Line Fly Shoppe hat in honor of my fly fishing teacher and guru Mark Noble. Hoped it would generate some conversation but alas it didn't happen. Still had a great time. Now its time to shut up and go fishing.
My condolences. I bought my first fly fishing set up from Mark when he had his shop in Vancouver.

Randy Taylor

Steelhead
I am new to this forum,I to was at the Albany fly tyers Expo.it was amazing to see such artistic talent
Converge in one place.
On Friday and Saturday I tied for 2 sessions.i still was able to get around and watch many of the tyers there.Very impressive.
Hats off to all who took their time away from families to share their talent.